Anacharis emersed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
One of my Anacharis stems is now long enough that the top is coming out of the water. It is in a tall narrow tank (vase actually) resting against a piece of wood so that is probably why it hasn't leaned back into the water. Should I trim the top? Will it grow emersed?

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
id say leave it and see if it continues to grow. im not sure Anacharis is capable of being grown emersed though.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I don't think it has the support needed to handle long term emersed growth. If it does manage to stay stay above the water line it could continue to grow but once the leaves dry off, they will die back.

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
We had some in a pond one time, and it bloomed (a delicate, small, white flower with tissue-paper-thin leaves). The flowers were held above the surface of the water (the plant floated at the surface). This may not indicate anything, but it was interesting.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Anacharis is really a bog type plant, and will partially grow out of the water and be fine, if you like it leave it, if not, trim

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Anacharis (Elodea sp.) is one of the few truly aquatics. Dont bother trying to grow it emmersed. Trim the bottom off and replant the top.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The plant usually called Anacharis is Egeria densa (it was moved out of Elodea about fifty years ago) and is a true aquatic. Its flowers grow emersed but the plant itself requires to be submerged.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store