BN growth rate question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I picked up 4 , 1'' to 1 1/2'' BN plecos a couple of weeks ago. I put them in a 10g QT tank. After a couple days, I only saw 3 in the tank. It seemed kind of weird how I could loose one,but thought maybe it jumped and one of the cats got it. After a couple of more days, it hit me. Look in the HOB. And there it was. So I have all 4 back in the tank. I put some pots in there for them,and none have made their way into the filter again.

So it has been a couple of weeks,and they are all healthy and fine. I could put them into the new tanks,but at their size, I want to be able to find them. They are going into planted 55's,so I am thinking I may never see them until they get bigger. If one does become sick,or is getting picked on, I may not know until too late.

So after my long winded opening, what is their growth rate? I know they are fine in the 10,for now. But how long can I grow them out in this tank? I have a empty 20 long I could put them in, but I don't have a stand for it,and really no where to put it without a stand. One of the 55's has Angels,and smaller community fish. The other 55 has a GT. He is pretty mellow,and I have had plecos with him before,but none this small.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
BN's from what im noticing grow slow but not super slow. I got some of mine growing out in a 5gal right now soon to go into my 20. I would give them another month or 2 in the 10 let them put more size and bulk. Once they do there should be no worries of your angel finding them as a meal. The GT i wouldnt trust regardless of how mellow he is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store