quick plant question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I have plants in my 75 gal and 30 gal that are struggling. They were nice and green when I got them but now they seem to be dying. The leaves are becoming brown and transparent and droopy. The plants in my 10 gal are fine. The 30 and 75 have floating plants in them, could those floating plants be blocking the light and causing the issue?

There is no CO2 I dose with flourish and use root tabs. The 75 has play sand substrate and the 30 is small pebbles.
thanks for the help!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
amazon swords - 4 plants (~6")
Hygro difformis - 5 stems (~6")
Lugwigia arcuata - 4 stems (~4")
Ozelot sword - 1 plant (~5")
Dwarf sag - 5 plants

The lights on the 75 are a metal Halide, I'm not sure of the wattage it came with the tank
and on the 30 is a coralife with a 6700K bulb and a colormax bulb.
I don't dose anything else.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
If you bought them from a LFS, they were likely grown emersed. When planted submerged, you can expect a good bit of die off then the plant should come back strong. Sometimes plants just don't like certain tanks. I'll buy a plant, if it doesn't do well in my tank (I don't inject CO2) then I don't buy it again.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I bought them from someone on here

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
what plants do you have floating? the Ludwigia arcuata?

All the plants you have would do better with root tabs and all being planted. it could be blocking out the light. how often and how much flourish do you dose? what else is in the tank, and like asked before, what lighting do you use?

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
My patch of pennywort can block out quite a bit of light and until I trim them back they do steal light from all my other plants around.
I just want the pennywort to flower once! lol
Surface plants steal light from all below- fact.
Have your surface or floating plants located in one area of the tank and the mid to low plants elsewhere respectively.
In my 80g fully planted I dose twice a week (less than full dose) flourish and iron.
Never just before or after water changes as the dechlor will attempt to solidify the iron and it will turn to waste instead of fertilizer.
You should add basic co2 diy basic is easy! or buy the kit and then diy from there.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
salvinia minima is the floating plant.
In the 75 there are Blood Parrots, Corydoryas, a Severum and a Jack Dempsey, the lighting in this tank is not a metal halide it is a compact fluorescent
In the 30 there is a GBR pair and some CPD's, the lighting on this tank is a coralife with a 6700k bulb and a colormax bulb.
I dose the recommended dose of flourish every other day or so ( don't remember what that does is off hand )
I don't know the age of the plants. The package I bought had some trimmings ( which are doing well ) and the others had roots already ( which are the ones that aren't doing so well )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store