3 fancies, 3 different symptoms to 1 affliction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
Ok so I have 1 black moor, 1 oranda and 1 pearl scale.
They are in a 30 g for now, in January they will get a 55 or more as there X-mas present :)
I do 30 to 50 % water changes weekly.
Filtration is Eheim 2213. It is too small for the job but for now it is what I have. (would be fine with tropicals in a 30G but not messy poop-king goldies lol).
Air is tetra whisper 60 at about 55% flow.
Only food fed to present is New Life Spectrum goldfish formula.
Light is on for 8 hours per day.
Decorations are rocks: natural and acrylic coated. Plants artificial silk plants (from china with cement like base). Substrate is lfs purchased small river stones, 1 moss ball and african root wood.
Everything added to the tank was boiled or well cleaned.

Water parameters are:
ammonia= 0
nitrite= less than .1 ppm
nitrate= less than 5 ppm
PH= 7.4 to 7.6

Now to the story...

Last Sunday (water change day) I didn't do a water change I did a full filter cleaning. It was nasty! The bottom was full of long chords of goldie poop!
Anyways since I cleaned the filter I decided not to do the water change.

Then Monday while talking to a friend about the poop! She strongly suggested I use 'waste control' as she uses turtle waste control for her pond and it works...
So I got a bottle of nutrafin waste control and added the recommended amount.
From there my water was cloudy.
I attributed it to the waste control alone but now I wonder.
Now as the week rolls on the tank seems to remain somewhat cloudy but clean.
The fish were remaining active, hungry and mobile.
Then yesterday I noticed all three in the bottom third of the aquarium more then usual.
I was on my way out but told myself I better get a water change in tomorrow!

So today when lights come on, cover off!
The Oranda has 3 white spots on his head.
The black moor looks like he ran through a bakery, a white dusting on him.
The pearl scale has 2 red strips along either side!
I thought ammonia burn!!
So the good boy scout that I am I did a 50% water change on the fly!
Oops should have tested the water first!!
Well so the parameters above are from right after water change and 1 hour later matching results.

So please tell me by your experience what I am dealing with and how to handle it.
Sorry the pics aren't the best, I spend all my loose cash on fish nothing left for a better camera lol :dance2:

DSC00985.JPG DSC00997.JPG DSC01002.JPG DSC01003.JPG DSC01004.JPG DSC01007.JPG

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
well ........ Bump
hoped for more responses on this. I have very little experience with goldfish and most think they are simple low maintenance fish but they have their issues still.
Hope to wake up to some ideas. :)

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
How did you clean your filter? You may have disrupted your biofilter and gone through a mini-cycle. Those nitrites should be zero.

The black moor looks like it may have velvet (velvet usually has a rust color tinge). Hopefully it's not the start of columnaris. Red streaks are indicative of septicemia. Not sure about those spots on the oranda, could be either bacterial or fungal. I'd be doing daily water changes and keeping the water as clean as possible. Hopefully someone with more experience in fish diseases can add their input. You may want to post in the disease forum so you get more hits.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
I just rinsed the poop out of the canister and rinsed the media briefly.
I think it is ammonia burn and in consequence has caused bacterial infections.
I have started a maracyn treatment. I guess I shouldn't do any water changes while treating right?
Any other tips?

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
Tap but I treated the water I put into the filter before reinstalling it.
Same as when I do a water change with my siphon it is straight tap water that goes back into the tank but I condition the water.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Did you rinse the filter media in treated tap water or untreated? The answer you gave above is unclear. Be careful treating the entire tank as you may nuke your biofilter with antibiotics.

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
I rinsed with tap water then filled with treated water.
I heard that about the antibiotics but there is only those three fish in there and they all have symptoms.
I was thinking after the treatment I would do a few days of water changes and then add seachem stability.
Is this a good way to go about it?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
You nuked your biofilter cleaning it in tap water (if your tap has chlorine or chloramine) so the antibiotics aren't going to do much more damage to the biofilter. You're going to go through another cycle when you're done with antibiotics. Do you have another tank you can steal some media from when you're done with the antibiotics?

Next time you clean your filter use only old tank water or dechlorinated water. Chlorine/chloramine kills the good bacteria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store