Cichlids for a 20g. long?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
Any ideas? I was thinking about putting some cichlids in my empty 20g. long once I get my betta spawn out of it, but I know NOTHING about them!

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Small ones :)

Seriously 20gal isn't very big for most cichlids, but there are some options.

A pair of Kribensis would be fine, and if you can get them to breed you can probably sell the offspring, unlike Convicts that are hard to even give away.

Kribensis need no special care or anything, great little fish and a good start to get you into cichlids.

Ian

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
Also, Kribs are readily available most places, and a very hardy undemanding fish. They color up fantastically when spawning (and are pretty nice colored when not spawning), and you can keep them with community fish, so if you wanted something else in there it wouldn't be a problem. (Well I should clarify, when they spawn they get a little territorial and will run tankmates to one side of the tank, so don't put a spawning cave right in the middle, keep it to either side.) :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Kribs are great fish. I myself have 6 in a 40g tang with only one pair. The pair mostly just stick to themselves and don't bother anyone else. They have a shell and cave they call home and nobody goes near it.

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I thought about shellies! I need to do some research though to figure out which would be best for such a small tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store