YAY!! My Calvus Black Congo Spawned!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Well, my pair of calvus black congos were acting a little funny around a conch shell last week, and I suspected they may spawn, so over the weekend I moved their two shells into a 10g for temporary, out of the community tank. The 10g happened to be the only thing up and running at the moment. Tonight I looked in closely and was surprised to see something move. There are babies all over! Probably 15 or so I could see. Not sure if there are more in the shells. The parents are inside one or both of the shells. Sometimes the male goes in hers and sometimes he stays in his own. He's not very aggressive to her. Debating on if I should pull the shells out with parents and move them back to the community tank, but if I do, I'm risking moving some babies that might be in there still.
The babies don't look to have any yolk sac left, hard to tell since they're so tiny. Added some microworms and NLS Fry starter powder. I was happy to see they immediately started bouncing around to catch the food. I covered the intake on the filter. Just got my BBS hatchery going. I've read these fry are hard to raise. I think I've got everything covered now and hoping for the best! Advice welcome!
Here's a pic of the parents I took last week.

calvus pair.JPG

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Awsome, good luck raising them!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Congrats on the spawn! Hope all goes well. You should def keep a picture journal on here of their progress. :)

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Thanks everyone! I'm very excited! I did opt to pull the parents with their shells out - I think it's just too many fish for a 10 gal and the water quality needs to stay optimum. I added some moss for them to hide in and a couple young Briggs for cleanup duty. Aside from that I will try to leave them be so I don't stress them. I'm guessing now there's probably about 25. I will definitely get pictures and update when I can. Tried to get some tonight but they're a little too microscopic for my camera.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Here's a vid I took of the babies the first day. Couldn't get any pictures because they are too small. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of the video but about half way through you can see they get really active when fed! I'll post better pics and vids later when I can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRBj9h722Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store