Who keeps Damselfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
Title says it all. Who keeps damsels? I have 10 yellow tailed blues (Chrysiptera parasema) and 3 Smithi Damsels (Pomacentrus smithi). The big school seems to keep the aggression down to a minimum. They live with a bicolor angelfish, a PJ Cardinal, a royal gramma, and 2 true percula clowns. There are also some ricordea, a group of hermits, and about 300 astraea snails (they bred).

What kind do you guys keep and what do you keep with them.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I keep Green Chromis, a type of Damselfish. Green Chromis are much less aggressive then most other damsels, and i keep them with a common clownfish, a cardinal fish, and a firefish.

AFAIK, you should only have 1 type of damselfish per tank, but I'm no expert. Good Luck with yours!

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
as for my damsels being kept in a group like that I chose less aggressive species (especially in such a big group). I've found the yellow tailed blues to be on par with green chromis for aggression levels when kept in a big school in such a big tank.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Ah, that explains it. Well, I've got a 30 gal, so i don't have as much wiggle room. What sized tank do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store