Prickly Sculpin Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Tank:
22 gallons, glass, been up for 6ish months
Filters:
45 gallon hang on back whisper
20 gallon hang on back whisper
55 gallon air pump on medium disk
Plants:
Anubis, Java moss
Inhabitants:
1,4 1/2 inch Prickly sculpin
2, 1/2-1inch prickly sculpin
2 , 1 1/2-1/2 inch unknown sculpin
ramshorn snails

Prickly Sculpin need high dissolved oxygen, and cold clear water,
they can reach up to 11 inches but average 6-8 males being larger
this tank is fan cooled with a simple window fan blowing down on the surface of the water, keeping the temp below 70o in the summer and around 65o in the winter.
(pics of fish will be next post)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ok!
Prickly Sculpin
these guys eat every thing!
night crawlers, frozen krill, blood worms, pellets, any type of fish i throw the tank, shrimp, clam chunks, scuds, and guppies...they love guppies ( i breed my own)

Collected her my self over a year ago she was around 1 1/2 inches and is now 4 1/2!
here are a few pics of her...i love taking pics of this fish, they are little mini monsters with tons of personality

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
and the two prickly sculpin babies collected this spring from the same location
the larger of the two sort of rules the tank when the my big girl is in hiding ...though it stays mostly in the rocks

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
and the two unknown the largest is the dark solid ..witch is about the size of the large one when i first got it
i have tons more pics...and even some i have yet to get off of the camera...so more recent once to come!

Enjoy! and any comments/ questions are welcome!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Wow, that is really cool.
So the big girl doesn't eat the little ones? Are they
"prickly" as in having some nasty defense mechanism?
yup she does!!
these are survivors of about 30 i dropped in the tank as food this summer...4 have survived though im expecting one or two of them to make it to grow out..they have small places to hide and get out of the way of the all seeing mouth of the tank. Im upgrading there tank to a 55...soon ish maybe another 6 months or so..so if any one if alive them then they win!!!(if not off to collect again im hoping for a few females and a male to try my hand at breeding them)

and nope..all soft and squishy ..prickly is just what they are called, these guys don't even have scales.
and here is another pic!

Last edited:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
they are beautiful and i must say a very interesting looking fish! now you've made me go google, lol.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Sculpin are awesome fish, wish i had a tank for them, I loved cave sculpin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store