Male kribensis question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
This should probably be in the cichlid forum but it pertains to my new community tank. I have 4 male kribensis that my buddy was supposed to take. He cannot take them anymore, and the LFS would surely see to their imminent demise. Could 4 male kribs go in a community tank and be alright with smaller schooling fish such as von rio tetras? From everything I've read if there's no pair they're not so aggressive towards other fish.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
ive found the males to be more shy and peaceful while the females get frisky and alittle nippy when ready to mate. sounds like you should be fine. but how big is your tank?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Is this your 29g? I think it's probably too small. The males aren't too bad but they each need a territory/hiding spots, they'll still be hoping for a female to come along.

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
Is this your 29g? I think it's probably too small. The males aren't too bad but they each need a territory/hiding spots, they'll still be hoping for a female to come along.
Well that just put a scene in my head of four males, studiously tending their homes and peeking out every day in hopes that Today will be the day that their special lady comes along. Little knowing that they will be bachelors for life. :)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
fishorama- It's a 55 gallon community sorry. No other bottom dwellers, really.

Tree- Haha for sure. Bums me out but no one can take them so in the 55 they go.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
All you can do is try and see how they'll do...I'd keep a close eye on them, though, as 4 in a 29 seems a bit dicey.

Eric

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, 55g is good :thumbsup: That should work but keep an eye on them especially if 1 is bigger.

We actually kept 8 or so males in a bare 29 for a short while until we could rehome them :eek: looked like a lfs tank, poor fishies. But no fighting, nothing for territories, no females to fight over or look pretty for. Another case of easy to breed fish saturating the local market :(

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sweet, good news to hear. I wouldn't have dreamed of putting them in the 29 haha. Thanks a bunch, they're going in tomorrow morning! I'M SO EXCITED!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store