dottybacks and dwarf angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

Starting up my 120 soon. I like dwarf angels and I like dottybacks. Here are the dwarf angels I am thinking about:
flame, cherub (pygmy) and halfblack/pearlscale (vroliki). What dottybacks are compatable. Ones I am thinking of (neon, springer, purple, bicolor, orchid, diadem). I am concerned that the orchid and/or the springer will be too timid. And that the neon and/or bicolor would be too agressive. I am also a little concerned that these angels might pick on the dottybacks. Are there other "good" choices?

The more peaceful angels I am thinking of are coral beauty and the elbi. Same question--which dottybacks would be compatible? I think these will be less likely to harrass dottybacks and therefore more likely to be harrassed by them. Sigh...

Right now I think I'm leaning towards putting the bicolor and neon with the flame/pygmy and halfblack, but I think that this might be trouble.

My other "choice" is the coral beauty/elbi with the springer/purple/diadem.

What do you think?

So if you have thoughts on which angels would be compatible with which dottybacks, I would appreciate the advice.

And yes, I think that this tank MIGHT be big enough for groups of dwarfs and dottybacks, but that's another complication in the stocking list.

Thanks,

nterry

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Although 120 is not a small aquarium, it's not that big either. How well they do all depended on aquascaping. I am guessing Fowler with good amt of LR?

If memory serves, kept Lemonpeel/CB in 90 Reef. Have kept few dwarf angels as long as they were different in colors in 180G Fowler (pretty close to reef in LR).
Have experimented with same species of dottys in reef set ups, hoping they somehow pair up. Perhaps some may have died from aggression but again it could been other reasons which I may have failed to observe/determine.

What I found was that 2 was never a good number. Had less casualties when kept in trio or as much as tank will allow.

It may be hard to say which one is more aggressive. Perhaps which ever went in the tank first and established his/her territory. Well, Most of time but not always.

Oh, try adding same types at the same time and hope for the best. Make a contraption to trap fish for easy removal in case one becomes notoriously aggressive toward tankmates as well as diy penalty boxes

Goood Luck with new venture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store