Plant of the Month: Brazilian Pennywort, Hydrocotyle leucocephala

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Brazilian Pennywort
Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Origin: South America Family: Apiaceae
Genus: Hydrocotyle
Lighting: Low
Difficulty: Low
Growth Rate: Medium-Fast

Pennywort one of those rare type of plants that you can put it anywhere. Most plants do best as foreground floating background or so forth. Its a low light plant so it will work in almost any thank too. As a floating plant it can help act as fry saver because of the roots and stem.

Why did i Choose pennywort? for a long time pennywort has been my favorite plant. There are 2 reasons the versatility like i mentioned above and when packing these to be shipped they have a sweet scent. Most aquatic plants i have kept dont have any scent so its a refreshing difference.

Why do you like Brazilian Pennywort? or dont like. share your comments on this place. thank you

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I love my Brailian pennywort. My first two pieces were tiny hitchhikers that came with other plants I bought. It's easy to grow in my low tech tanks and offers a lovely light green to contrast with most other plants in my aquariums. Once it gets started, it grows rather quickly but is easily controlled so you don't have to worry about it becoming unmanageable. I highly recommend this plant.

Fishfamily_MA

AC Members
Apr 13, 2010
Saugus, MA
We got some at an auction over the weekend. What is the best way to plant it? It came potted and I just put it in one of the tanks for now.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I had some for a few hours after my first foray into live plants. It was one of the first casualties of herbivorous fish. It was pretty while it lasted though, and after seeing a picture of an established plant I regret losing it.

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
You can "plant" it, although it really doesn't take root like other plants. Thus, it doesn't take much to uproot it. But if you have a calm spot in your tank, you can just poke it your substrate and it will do fine. However, it's also just a great floating plant.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I've always wanted this plant and haven't been able to find it locally. I can't wait to try it out.

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
I really like how this plant looks, Ive never seen it at my LFS before. Would love to try some out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store