Need a bottom feeder for my 180 with slow feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
My 180 is just getting going, and only has 3 zebra danio "tester" fish in it and one Ctenopoma acutirostre that is 1.5"-2". He's a slow feeder. The next fish going in is an Anostomus anostomus...another slow feeder. I wanted to add these shy guys first so they can be accustomed to the tank. The problem is getting enough food in this large tank so these fish can find it, without polluting the tank- 3 zebra danios can only eat so much! Hence my need for a bottom feeders to gobble up the leftovers. I don't want an aggressive feeder though that will be stealing food from my 2 shy guys. And the bottom feeder will need to:

1. Be able to hold his own against some larger fish in the future, but not be aggressive.
2. Be between 3"-6" adult size.
3. Not be a snail eater (I plan to have some puffers and don't want something outcompeting them for their snails).

Suggestions?

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Aren't pictus pretty aggressive feeders, though?

Jrpsaros

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Raleigh NC
I only have one, I will be getting two more to keep him company. I haven't seen him be aggressive at all, but in groups when they are more comfortable may be a different story. I honestly don't know. I just love the colors and personality of mine.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Pictus cats are like tiny vacuum cleaners, and can be very frantic at feeding time. If you are looking for something calmer, something like brochis cats might work (think giant cories), or even some sort of dwarf cichlid, like rams or apistos. They tend to hang out toward the bottom and aren't too rambunctious.

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
So my "slow feeding" Ctenopoma and Anostomus have now gotten very comfortable and are slow feeders no more! They are now housed with 3 Denisonii barbs (2.5") that were added yesterday. Still looking for a bottom feeder. Any thoughts on Synodontis cats? There are SO MANY of them, that it's overwhelming! I saw some juvenile S. eupterus yesterday for $4.99. Do they need to be in a school, or can you keep them singly? Any aggression issues?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store