Questions about bottom dwellers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eguynth

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
Sri Lanka
Real Name
RiZ
I have couple of bottom dwellers like bronze cory cats and upside down/black lace catfish (still not IDed).
I dont have sinking pellets I tried to buy at couple of lfs they gave me some stinky worms which none of my fish eats and it doesn't sink.:angryfire:

Cory some times come to the top to eat the worm cubes, but always he is the last to notice :p

They look healthy scavenging at the bottom but I'm worried the food at the bottom will run out, after all its a tank not a mine field of "scavenging food"

Is there any food I can prepare at home like any veggies? I read they dont eat algae so will they be okay?

Any how thank you, I'll still look around for sinking pellets.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
well if they were pleco's I would say zucchini but I don't know of cory's will eat that. Check out http://www.kensfish.com/ He sells all sorts of stuff and a lot of members like his food. I feel almost exclusively kens fish to my fish. The sticks sink, and they even have specific catfish food that sinks.

But this is a luxury, if you don't want to spend the money they will stay perfectly healthy eating flake that finds it way to the bottom eventually. I never actually see my catfish eating as they stay hiding but they are nice and fat and have been healthy for a long time so I know they are finding stuff when the lights are out.

BTW those quanties go a very long way so they end up being cheaper then most fish store prices. But to justify shipping you might want to get more then one thing.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would go with the Omega One line. a great quality food at a decent price, and petsmart carries it (at least up here in igloo land, lol, they do). i use their shrimp pellets and my cories love them. there is also a spirulina flake by Omega that has large size flakes in the jar that sink fairly well when they get caught by the filter flow.

cvar

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2010
We have upside-down cats (yup, always hiding), clown loaches, SAE's, and corys. They all love the Wardley Shrimp Pellets. They sink fast, and everybody eats 'em up. Even the non-bottom dwellers (swordtails, tetras) will eat them, but the bottom feeders vacuum up pretty fast.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
wardley, IMO, isn't all that good a quality of food. neither is Tetra. take a look at the ingredients next time you're in the fish food aisle at the lfs. wardley has a lot of fillers, even in the first six or so ingredients. fillers are things that have the words 'wheat', 'middlings', 'flour', etc in them. fish are not cows, they don't eat grain! lol.

i always go for foods that don't have any fillers listed in at least the first six ingredients. so far i've found that Omega and NLS (New Life Spectrum) are the only two brands that fit this criteria, as far as what's available at the big box stores for dry/prepared foods.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I feed my corys with NLS thera+a, kens 5 stick blend, spirulina sticks, soft and moist w/krill, algae wafers. They eat basically everything. I like feeding sticks the most because they are large and it allows me to see just how fast they are eating, so I know how much to feed them. My baby corys love baby brine shrimp.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
They will eat zucchini, so if you can sink that with something they will eat it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store