Cory Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tayhudson

time will see us realign
Sep 27, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Real Name
Terri
I want to get some corys for my planted 20 long. I have 1 CT Betta, and 2 Zebra Nerites in it right now. My Betta has an awesome personality and tolerates other fish really well. I'm having trouble deciding which corys (size wise) will be ok in this tank. I've been reading about different ones, and asked questions at my LFS. I like juliis, albinos and pandas. I'm just curious how many I could keep without overstocking. I know they need to be in groups, but what's a good number to at least start off with?? I'd like to keep it to one type tho. Any help would he awesome. Thanksssss :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would go with four or five for that size tank. albinos tend to be more active and out in the open more, IME.

remember to qt!!!!

FallenAngel

AC Members
Sep 11, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, depends on the species.
Pandas get to only about 2.5" yet albinos and juliis get to about 4" each.
So if you were to get panda, I'd say about 6-8.
If albinos or juliis, 5-6.

But it all depends on what else you want to have in the tank. Probably no more bottom feeders after you've added the corys. How about a small schooling fish like Harlequin Rasbora? You could get away with adding a small school of 6 to the tank, then be fully stocked.

0tto

AC Members
Oct 24, 2010
ya pandas would be an awesome choice. I have 5 in my planted 20 long and they are so active and fun to watch. people have told me that pandas are more sensitive to water parameters than other cories, but I have never had a problem with mine (8 months now). I don't know of any evidence of this being true, and I think the pandas are the best looking. GL!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
How about a small schooling fish like Harlequin Rasbora? You could get away with adding a small school of 6 to the tank, then be fully stocked.

Not with a Betta he couldn't......they would either chew him up or visa versa

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Not with a Betta he couldn't......they would either chew him up or visa versa
My betta lives in a 20g with 7 Harlies and no one bothers anyone. The betta may give a very short chase during bloodworm feeding but that's all.

I believe that many people keep bettas with Harlies other than me as well.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
tankmates for a betta is dependent on the betta's personality. some will allow roommates while others won't even tolerate a pond snail in their tank with them.

when adding a betta to a tank with fish or vice versa (adding the other fish to the betta's tank), always have alternative accommodations to move either the betta or the other fish to, should things not work out.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I say 5-7 Julli's forget the panda's and the albino's. I looked those Julii's up and everyone who I talk to regularly on here knows I love my pleco's but those Julii's are very nice looking. Oh and I really mean 5 or 7 since I love odd numbers but guess six would be ok (dang even numbers). Your tank doesnt have any real bio-load with a single male betta and 2 nerite poop machine snails lol.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
tankmates for a betta is dependent on the betta's personality. some will allow roommates while others won't even tolerate a pond snail in their tank with them.

when adding a betta to a tank with fish or vice versa (adding the other fish to the betta's tank), always have alternative accommodations to move either the betta or the other fish to, should things not work out.
This is very true. Ive kept up with most of Tay's posts though and her betta is very passive. Even use to chill with a group of cardinal tetra's she use to have with them so I doubt there will be a problem. Quarantine is a very good point also if I remember correctly Tay has a spare 20 gallon aquarium just sitting there so bases are covered this time around :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store