Botias that don't eat snails...do they exist?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
If so, what species?

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. :(

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
What kind of snails are you thinking of adding?

Rachel (MsJinkzd) had some loaches, Yunnanilus cruciatus, which would probably be fine with larger snails. You should ask her to make sure, though...

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Well, I plan on having some South American Puffers and don't want something out competing them for their snails.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Dwarf chain loaches do not eat snails. I had a large herd of about 48 of them in a tank where there were many ramshorns.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Two Comments:

- Most puffers should not be kept in a community setting- ie with most other fish. they can get very nasty

Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki -aka dwarf chain loach most certainly do eat snails However, they are a tiny loach and so will only eat small snails. I have had about a dozen of these guys for many years and have removed tons of empty snail shells from their tanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just my experience with puffers and SA's in specific...you will need to breed snails in another tank. By the bucket load. It won't matter if they're the only snail eating fish in the tank--they will get them first, and they will empty the tank. Loaches can go after the snails, but the puffers will get there first almost every time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store