snail out of water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscardelahoya

on my way
Sep 30, 2010
central ohio
How long can a brigg last outside of water? One my gold mysteries has been above the water for a while now and didn't know how long they should be out?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I wouldn't worry about the snail being above the water as long as it isn't out of the tank. If it is above the water line then it is most likely looking for a place to lay an egg clutch. Sometimes mine go above the water for a minute or two just because, but everytime they spend any decent amount of time up there, they are usually searching for good places to lay the clutch. I am fairly certain the snail will drop back into the water before it dries out. I have definitely never heard of a snail staying out of water for weeks though.....

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yea when I had my briggs they would go to the top sometimes stay out of the water a bit and then either cruise back down or just release its suction and drop all the way back down. I think the amount of time they can spend out of water depends on multiple factors like the temperature and humidity. Weeks sounds unlikely though since snails are normally always on the look out for food.

oscardelahoya

on my way
Sep 30, 2010
central ohio
Well my two black mysteries are males so hopefully one of them interested the gold and ill have a clutch soon! She's been up there for about 3 hours now

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
WOOT!!! You will probably wake up to a clutch!!! YAY!!!! :)

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Sounds like she is grooming an area to lay her clutch :) Just make sure the lid is on nice and tight as they are known to roam to find the right spot.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Sounds like she is grooming an area to lay her clutch :) Just make sure the lid is on nice and tight as they are known to roam to find the right spot.
I agree, I have found clutches on the side and back of my filter and once, I found my snail girl on the floor :thumbsdown: but she was still alive, and is still laying clutches like crazy! :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store