Spotted Puffer with Swollen Lip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redbouche

Registered Member
Feb 10, 2010
My girlfriend has a green spotted puffer with a swollen lip. It's all pink and puffy, but only on the right side top and bottom. Looks like Rocky Balboa socked him in the lip. It's been this way for over a month, and appears to be getting a little worse with time. Anyone know what this is? I've got a picture but it is very blury. You can probably as least tell that his lips are really big and pink on his left side (picture right side).

Puff Puff.JPG

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Hey, sorry about the puffer!

What are the tanks's water parameters? Are there any other fish in with the puffer? You probably know that these puffers are brackish right? Is it fuzzy or smooth? Is there any other spot on the puffers body that looks like this? My first thought would be an injury, in which case, just keep the water super clean so opportunistic bacteria do not have a good chance of infecting him further. Also, it could be mouth rot, which I don't know how to treat in a brackish fish, at least I don't want to give you bad information. Hope this helps!

Maribeth

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I have seen this before. Treat with Melafix (as per directions) & Epsom salt at 1 tbsp/5g for the swelling. Be sure the water is pristine. What are the other parameters? SG? Tank size/tank mates?

FreshwaterQueen

AC Members
Apr 15, 2012
This looks like an old post but what are you feeding the puffer? Make sure he has something hard shelled such as snails to help file his teeth down

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store