My Aquaponics System

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Hi Everyone! My name is Chi. I live in CA.

One day I asked one of the kids I work with if they knew where their food comes from. Their response was the super market. I said "really?" So I asked where did the super market get it from? All I got was a shrug. It inspired me to make my own system to show the kids that food doesn't magically appear at the super market.

I noticed a lot of systems are a lil um "3rd world" looking for the lack of a better term. This is v1.0 for me to get all the plumbing squared away. It is made with a 200 gallon tote, 4" ABS pipe for the grow beds. 500 gph pump. Right now it is all running on house power but in the spring when the storms are over will switch to solar. Also it will get some cedar paneling around it so it will be more presentable. Fish will be a mix of tilapia and channel catfish. I think I might need to add a settling tank but i'll see how it goes.

Any suggestions to improve the system are welcome.

A little vid: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=494750945609

Beginnings:

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
Wowsers!

VERY, very nice project!

what are you using for the black framing that's holding the aquaponics section together?
sounds like you're planning on more than a couple of tilapia and catfish in there, so you may need to expand the aquaponics / filter system

amazing job!

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
wow thats awesome! whats the white PVC coming down to the ball valves? is that where you put water from WCs? (thats what i would do :p)

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Thanks for the kudos guys.

@pbeemer: The thing holding all the ABS together is Marine grade plywood painted with several layers of epoxy spray paint. As for filtration, there is spray bar going down the length of the solid ABS tube filled with bio balls. This tube will act as my biological filter. The plants will act as my nitrogen scrubbers.

@Weedcali: The PVC is a manifold where the water comes from the pump is distributed. The valves are used to balance the flow.

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
So couple of weeks ago I planted some lettuce seedlings. I forgot to take pics of how small they were. Went to check on them today and took some pics.

Hot and steamy in there. 47 degrees outside and 63 inside.

Lettuce looking good. Lots of root growth.

Basil and Oregano doing good!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store