3 Dead Danios after Treatment with API

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Hi,

I've just recently joined the forum to discuss a recent event with my aquarium.

I have a 21 G aquarium. I've had it setup for 3 years and 2 months as a mid coldwater aquarium (22C) with a Blue Oranda Goldfish and 9 Danios. However, my Oranda Goldfish recently died of swimbladder. All my 9 Danios were fine.

I've had various goldfishes for the past 4 years and none of them ever survived for more than 2 years. So, I've given up on having goldfishes and converted my aquarium for tropical fishes. I didn't change anything with the setup bar from increasing the heating to 24C and added aquarium salt.

I added 5 Platy's and 4 Bronze Corydoras on the previous Sunday. I tested the aquarium for Ph - 7.6, Ammonia - 0 and Nitrate - 0ppm before I added them. By the night, I noticed that the 5 Platy's had some sort of cotton like growth on it's fins & body. 1 of the Platy had clamped fin and cotton like growth around the fin.

After much research I concluded that it must some sort of bacterial infection and bought Melafix (API) and Pimafix (API) on Tuesday. I came home on the same day to administer the medication and noticed that one of the Platy with clamped fin and cotton like growth around the fin has died. I removed it from the aquarium and administered both Melafix, first. I added Pimafix 4 hours later.

I woke up the next day only to find 2 of my Danios dead. These Danios were happily swimming about before and all of a sudden they've died. I remove them from the tank only to notice that their mouth was wide open, as though they were trying to gasp for something. I was quite sadden by that. 9 hours later, upon coming back from work, another of my Danio was found dead. Same scenario, with the mouth wide open.

There was no symptom or any for me to diagnose. I just hope all my Danios won't die, I've got 6 left. Meanwhile, the Platy's seem to be ok. The cotton like fungul is still visible but it doesn't look like they gotten any worst.

Can anyone advice, are there issues surrounding the use of Melafix/Pimafix? Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Hi,

I've just recently joined the forum to discuss a recent event with my aquarium.

I have a 21 G aquarium. I've had it setup for 3 years and 2 months as a mid coldwater aquarium (22C) with a Blue Oranda Goldfish and 9 Danios. However, my Oranda Goldfish recently died of swimbladder. All my 9 Danios were fine.

I've had various goldfishes for the past 4 years and none of them ever survived for more than 2 years. So, I've given up on having goldfishes and converted my aquarium for tropical fishes. I didn't change anything with the setup bar from increasing the heating to 24C and added aquarium salt.

I added 5 Platy's and 4 Bronze Corydoras on the previous Sunday. I tested the aquarium for Ph - 7.6, Ammonia - 0 and Nitrate - 0ppm before I added them. By the night, I noticed that the 5 Platy's had some sort of cotton like growth on it's fins & body. 1 of the Platy had clamped fin and cotton like growth around the fin.

After much research I concluded that it must some sort of bacterial infection and bought Melafix (API) and Pimafix (API) on Tuesday. I came home on the same day to administer the medication and noticed that one of the Platy with clamped fin and cotton like growth around the fin has died. I removed it from the aquarium and administered both Melafix, first. I added Pimafix 4 hours later.

I woke up the next day only to find 2 of my Danios dead. These Danios were happily swimming about before and all of a sudden they've died. I remove them from the tank only to notice that their mouth was wide open, as though they were trying to gasp for something. I was quite sadden by that. 9 hours later, upon coming back from work, another of my Danio was found dead. Same scenario, with the mouth wide open.

There was no symptom or any for me to diagnose. I just hope all my Danios won't die, I've got 6 left. Meanwhile, the Platy's seem to be ok. The cotton like fungul is still visible but it doesn't look like they gotten any worst.

Can anyone advice, are there issues surrounding the use of Melafix/Pimafix? Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Hi there!

I'm sorry about your danios! I have had a few Danios die on me and it's sad. Some people think Danios are annoying, but I love them!

OK, so a couple things, a 21 gallon is too small for an oranda, let alone an oranda and danios. A full grown Oranda grows to 10 inches, and they need 30 gallons at least. If you add danios, you need a 40-55 gallon tank. So, this may have to do with why your Orandas have passed. No problem, just get a bigger tank:)!!! Aquarium salt is unnecessary, it can't hurt though, so it's up to you. My Danios have done well during ich treatments with high salt, so I don't think that would hurt them, or the goldfish. Melafix and Pimafix are snake oils, meaning they are not going to cure any bacteria or fungus, they are a mild anti-bacterial with no real benefit for what your tank is experiencing. What is sounds like is Columnaris, which requires serious medication. Maricyn-Oxy worked for me, but there are several other that will kill columnaris and cure your fish. Columnaris kills quickly and danios, for some odd reason IME, do not show the characteristic signs of columnaris (the white patches). Pictures would help me identify for you, as I had this problem accompanied by major fin rot. I lost 90% of my stock before I found AC and got it figured out, so you are way ahead of me!!! Welcome to AC, I hope this helped!!! Good Luck!!

Maribeth
GuppyGirl1230

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Hi there!

I'm sorry about your danios! I have had a few Danios die on me and it's sad. Some people think Danios are annoying, but I love them!

OK, so a couple things, a 21 gallon is too small for an oranda, let alone an oranda and danios. A full grown Oranda grows to 10 inches, and they need 30 gallons at least. If you add danios, you need a 40-55 gallon tank. So, this may have to do with why your Orandas have passed. No problem, just get a bigger tank:)!!! Aquarium salt is unnecessary, it can't hurt though, so it's up to you. My Danios have done well during ich treatments with high salt, so I don't think that would hurt them, or the goldfish. Melafix and Pimafix are snake oils, meaning they are not going to cure any bacteria or fungus, they are a mild anti-bacterial with no real benefit for what your tank is experiencing. What is sounds like is Columnaris, which requires serious medication. Maricyn-Oxy worked for me, but there are several other that will kill columnaris and cure your fish. Columnaris kills quickly and danios, for some odd reason IME, do not show the characteristic signs of columnaris (the white patches). Pictures would help me identify for you, as I had this problem accompanied by major fin rot. I lost 90% of my stock before I found AC and got it figured out, so you are way ahead of me!!! Welcome to AC, I hope this helped!!! Good Luck!!

Maribeth
GuppyGirl1230
Hi Maribeth,

Thanks for your reply. You are probably correct about aquarium size. Called him/her Orlando. He/She was beautiful with fantails that was so graceful that it's one of the best that I've seen around. So it is a pity that he/she didn't survive, my wife and myself was very saddened.

I'm glad that you had suggested it being Columnaris as it wasn't very easy to diagnose something that serious. From what I've been reading and researching, it sounds like Columnaris indeed but was never really sure. This is because, the initial cotton like fungul growth on the fin has sort of eaten a little of the fin. (as though it has been nipped).

Since Sunday, I performed a 15%-20% water change on Monday, Melafix & Pimafix on Tuesday, Melafix & Pimafix on Wednesday and will do a 15%-20% water change again on Thursday with Melafix & Pimafix also added.

I have been looking around for Maracyn 2 in the UK cause I read that Columnaris is a gram negative bacterial infection. Sadly, I cannot find Maracyn or Maracyn 2 from any local/online shops in the UK. I have purchased both Maracyn & Maracyn 2 on eBay and am awaiting it to be shipped from US. However, I'm afraid if it is indeed Columnaris, it might be too late by the time it arrives.

Do you have any other common anti bacterial medication for Columnaris which I might be able to buy in the UK??

Btw, the Danio's and Corydoras doesn't not seem to be infected with Columnaris, only the Platy's which is also suprising. Hence why I'm still shocked about their sudden death following adding Melafix & Pimafix.

Regards,
Rashim

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
There is an interpet remedy for external bacterial conditions available in the UK. You can't get antibiotics without prescription because of concerns about antibiotics in the environment resulting in resultant bacterial strains which could affect humans, something I personally think is worth losing a few fish for.

All meds can reduce the O2 in the water, and danios as very active fish are high oxygen users, so that's a possibility. However, PMs are hard enough to do on people with lots of medical equipment and the corpse in front of you; PMs of fish over the internet are tentative at best.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
your tank is extremely overstocked. NO goldfish should be kept in a 21g to begin with.. you have 9 danios on top of it.

you need about a 55g tank for the level of stock you have.. your fish are likely dying due to ammonia poisoning from the bio-load being way to far overloaded.

Not being mean.. just helping out-- there is no getting around being overstocked

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
For antibiotics that have good activity against Gram- pathogens sulfa based drugs are an available choice, but ime if a fish gets Columnaris euthanization is how I'd deal with it and then look to the factors that made the fish so susceptible.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
your tank is extremely overstocked. NO goldfish should be kept in a 21g to begin with.. you have 9 danios on top of it.

you need about a 55g tank for the level of stock you have.. your fish are likely dying due to ammonia poisoning from the bio-load being way to far overloaded.

Not being mean.. just helping out-- there is no getting around being overstocked
Thanks for the info buddy but you do sound like a 'broken record'. Yes, I know the goldfish was in a smaller than usual aquarium and he/she might have died due to ammonia poisoning and I've said I'm sad so what's the use of beating a 'dead horse'?

Also, as I've said that I've revamped the aquarium and checked for most common issues and found none so far. Also, the Danios died 5 days after my goldfish died. Since my Oranda died I've done two 20% water changes and did Ph, Ammonia and Nitrate before introducing new fishes.

It's only upon introducing my new 5 Platies, 4 Corydoras and administering Melafix and Pimafix did my Danios die. Also, I've done another test yesterday for Ammonia and Nitrate, where Ammonia is Zero and Nitrate at 5ppm so I'm due a water change today.

Not to be mean to you, but please read the thread....:p

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
Sorry about your losses.

I have also heard that adding some medications can drop the oxygen level in the tank. If you have an HOB filter and you keep your water level up to the top, lower the level about 3-4 centimeters below the filter's output. Add a airstone, bubble wall or something to increase the surface agitation.

Some species of cory's do not do well with any salt so I have read.
Salt should not be added directly to the tank. You should dissolve it first in some water than add the mixture to the tank, if you are not.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
For antibiotics that have good activity against Gram- pathogens sulfa based drugs are an available choice, but ime if a fish gets Columnaris euthanization is how I'd deal with it and then look to the factors that made the fish so susceptible.
Thanks for the advice.

Euthanization eh......I'll really have to think hard for that. I don't feel right if I didn't do my best to make them better. At least then I know that I've done my best to help them recover.

I'm intrigued why the Corydoras and Danios don't show the Columnaris symptoms especially since it's meant to be very contagious?

The reason behind the infection.......I can only think that the Platies might have been a poor stock and might have been too stressed out following the travel from the pet store to my home....or my aquarium needs to be taken apart and bleached.

I mean I would expect my Danios and Corydoras to also show the same symptoms if it was my aquarium only right?

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Added the usual doses of Melafix and Primafix again today.
Purchased Maracyn & Maracyn 2 from USA also today. (hopefully it won't be too late)

Also completed a 20% water change today. So far not too bad (fingers crossed).

The infection (probably Columnaris) doesn't look like it's spreading. However, 1 of the Platy shows distinctive fin rot on the top fin (1/4 of the fin missing with cotton like growth surrounding it) and another Platy just has cotton like growth on it's back fin and body (but no loss of fins/bruises).

The other 2 Platy's, 6 Danios and 4 Corydoras in the aquarium don't show any sign of infection just yet (fingers crossed again that they won't get it at all).

I'll get some update later if there any changes. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store