Crazy Betta Antics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
My betta Albaster almost gave me a freakin' heart attack today. I was being a good little hobbyist and finally getting around to scraping the algae off his tank and after I left the cap off the very small inlet to the filter to let the algae chucks and such get sucked up planning to chuck the cartridge afterward. Anyway by change I happen to come back up to see if enough has been sucked up and plan to put the cap back on and my betta is gone poof! Since I had take the decor out to clean it I look behind the filter tube, by the heater. I am breathing faster thinking the bugger must have got stress and jumped so I am fractically search around the tank to no avail. :confused: Suddenly the filter starts making a subtle yet disturbing sound and I just about lose it tearing the HOB filter apart thinking I am about to find beloved betta in pieces.:( Luckily the resistant little bugger was a little beat up, but okay. Thank heavens I happened to check the tank when I did because he might not have been able to last much longer. So he has got a few slight ragged parts on his fins and the portion of his head when his nose would be if bettas had noses is a little buggered up, but nothing supper noticable or deadly looking until you get a little closer. So I dosed him with some betta remedy and he should be fine. So the filter cap is now back on the filter and I won't make that mistake again, just granted him to much intellegence to convince myself surely he would stay anyway from the thing sucking water in...:headshake2:

Anyway thanks for reading my little narrative, I am just glad my little betta buddy is okay.:dance:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Don't forget, bettas come with a massive helping of curiosity... Hazardous to more than just cats.

Wishing your guy a speedy recovery! Did he actually make it past the impeller? :eek:

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Yes Bettas are always up to no good :p
Can't turn your back on them for a second! lol
glad he's ok

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
He was somehow managing to keep above the impeller barely, from the dings on his face I would guess he swarm up it and somehow managed to turn around in the impeller area and keep trying to swim out. No clue how that was physically possible, but glad he is still alive through he is huddled in a corner periodically sucking done air. Good news is once the tank is clean I am adding a big ornament that he can swim around and through and explored, plus he can rest inside without the current bothering him much why he recovers.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Glad your little guy is ok. That would have scared the crap out of me too.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Thanks for all the well wishing just glad they didn't end up being condolences.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Just thought I would throw in an update that Alabaster is doing great and happily swimming around his newly decorated tank.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
See this is why you shouldn't let Betta fish watch Finding Nemo. He's got it in his head that he can stop the impeller and swim back out. But there's no other fish out there with a big stem from a fake plant to save him!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store