The Sorority Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
So after a bunch of research and talking to people, I've decided that I'll be creating a 10 gallon sorority of 4-6 girls and I thought I'd just log it so I can keep track of how it develops. :)

Right now, here's what I have gathered:

10 gallon tank with a hood(X1)
50 watt Marineland Stealth Pro (x1)
Aquatech 5-15 filter (x1)
Wee little decoration/cave thingy (x1)
silk ivy (x too much)

It doesn't take a rocket scientest to see that I don't have the tank ready yet

So, I'll be splurging at Petsmart this weekend an buying:

EcoComplete (x1) Live plants (x many) possibly a marimo ball for the heck of it(x1) filter media (x a lot) and decor (x what I can afford).

Once everything is set up and the seeded cycle finished, I'll be getting my girlies~
---

The girls are coming from member from another forum. I'm adopting three girls, possibly four if the fourth gets better from her, and I'll probably add one to two more that I'll buy. The adopted girls are 2 blueish vts, a cambodian sd, and possibly a yellow hmpk. They were all in a sorority together along with a few other girls before the member put them up for adoption, so reintroductions should go relatively smoothly.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
I have planaria! ... and other really tiny white speck like organisms that are now crawling/swimming up the glass walls. Woot. this means my tank can now support multi celled organisms (which it probably couldn't a day or two ago)

A day or two ago I looked into my tank.... and the gravel was growing mold (eeww O_O; ), which is really wierd. So I sucked it all up and tossed the moldy water out and re-filled the tank. It didn't happen with my other cycled tank, so hopefully it won't come back. the silk ivy had a bit of mold, but that's mostly off as well. The holey sandwich baggie of fish food was sort of moldy too (and seems to be growing more mold), but no biggie. I'll take it out and replace it with a new one tonight.

Water params from the day before yesterday was Am: .25, nitri: 0, nitra: 0. The wisteria, water lettuce, aponogeton bulbs and java fern are using the ammonia up too quickly, so I'll have to add more fish food more often.

If anyone thinks the used to be mold could be an issue, tell me please....

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Is it white and puffy? I have that form on algea tabs and snello if I don't clean it up fast enough.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
There was some fuzzy clear clumps, some that sort of string out in different directions like spikey sun ball things, and some that looked like big clumps of long white cat hair (like my neighbor's cat when he's shedding). It's wierd I didn't notice it until it got blaringly obvious...

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Some pics of the tank... ignore the floating sandwich baggie of fish food. There needs to be something where the bag of bio rocks are, and something else between the pot and the mug, but I'm not sure what else to put. suggestions are welcome.
old and new fish 005.JPG
old and new fish 007.JPG

the live plants I have in there are:

wisteria (x5), aponogeton bulbs (x2), java fern (x1), water lettuce (x many)

old and new fish 005.JPG old and new fish 007.JPG

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
You could get some Anubis..they have big dark leaves and would look really nice in there^_^ but it looks good so far...

as far as the cups go, bettas are little things and those are huge caves..they wouldn't be able to hide from each other in them very well, maybe bury the cup and pot a bit? dig them down and put a little of gravel in them? might help a bit.^_^

Sorority tanks are so much fun to watch!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
:) I'll have to keep and eye out for some anubias then. The cup and pot are not only supposed to help the girls hide but also to block and break up their line of sight. As for burying the pot and cup, that'd be difficult because I've got flourite under the black gravel cap, so every time I even slightly disturb the gravel a cloud of new sediments makes the tank cloudy, which is frusterating because I worked hard to get the flourite rinsed well and keep the tank from getting too cloudy. I might go smash a terra cotta pot or two and put some half or quarter pieces in there as more hiding spots.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
:) I'll have to keep and eye out for some anubias then. The cup and pot are not only supposed to help the girls hide but also to block and break up their line of sight. As for burying the pot and cup, that'd be difficult because I've got flourite under the black gravel cap, so every time I even slightly disturb the gravel a cloud of new sediments makes the tank cloudy, which is frusterating because I worked hard to get the flourite rinsed well and keep the tank from getting too cloudy. I might go smash a terra cotta pot or two and put some half or quarter pieces in there as more hiding spots.
yeah those might work a bit better just make sure all the edges are soft, bettas like to lean on things and rub along them...being females you don't have to worry about fin tares are much. ^_^
im glad someones doing this...you dont see it enough..when i was breeding bettas i had a 35 grow out tank for all the girls, it was allot of fun.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
yeah, I know to watch out for sharp edges, I used to have two betta boys. :)

Lol, I'm glad to be doing this too, it's going to be so cool. It's actually not that uncommon to find people with beautiful sororities at the forum I'm typically at. Though, wow, 35 gallons full of pretty girls must have been much fun.

Last edited:

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Just tested the water, here's about what the water chemistry it (I lost the color chart :S and had to search it online to compare)

ph: 6.6-6.8
am: 0
nitri: .50
nitra: 0

Almost done cycling!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store