Amazon River Disaster & Global Warming Facts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heiko Bleher

AC Members
Dec 20, 2008
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you all know about my most recent report and some global warming facts, in which some of you may have interest in reading it - what is happening to our freshwater world, which I think is of concern to all, not only of the aquarists and or/fish & plant lovers. I lived, researched and wrote it for the website of PFK this week:
http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Enjoy (or possibly not),

Heiko Bleher
www.aquaprtess-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
wow...

IMHO, it will take a disaster on a vastly larger scale then this to wake humans up to our stupidity. Something like the northern of souther Ice Sheets falling into the sea and destroy coastal cities all over the world. Or maybe if the midwest US got hit by another dustbowl like during the great depression. Or if, say, New York got hit by a category 5 hurricane. That might to the trick.

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Coincidently, I just read the article on PFK this morning before comign on here. It literally turned my stomach reading it.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
wow...

IMHO, it will take a disaster on a vastly larger scale then this to wake humans up to our stupidity. Something like the northern of souther Ice Sheets falling into the sea and destroy coastal cities all over the world. Or maybe if the midwest US got hit by another dustbowl like during the great depression. Or if, say, New York got hit by a category 5 hurricane. That might to the trick.

While you like to point out the "stupidity" of humans for global warming, there is still no definitive proof it's people causing it. The biggest problem being climate data has only been collected for a very short period of time, and how the clime really works has only been studied through geological and ice cap data. While that gives clues to how the climate was, and gives ideas for how the climate changes, the fact is, they still have no clue what the true factors are causing the changes to the climate. They try to use carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as the major "green house gas". The fact is the largest greenhouse gas is WATER. Geologically speaking, the Earth is well overdue for it's next climate shift. Do the research, it's normal for the planet (not always healthy for the animals living on it) to shift it's climate. As an example, Antarctica used to be a temperate rain forest.

Volcanic activity in recent years have thrown more carbon dioxide into the air than people can produce. Until some scientist can point out the true magnitude of factors causing climate change, then I won't believe it's people doing most the damage.

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
the world goes through these serious ups and downs with temp change, and theres not alot we can do apart from stopping driving our cars alday every day might help ,
pumping crap into the atmosphere might help,
we dont help the process of the distruction of our wondful green plant,
it about time we did our bit to help mother nature take back her plant and help her rebuild,instead of fighting stupid wars and setting of stupid bombs, and start to conserve what we have before everything has gone and been wiped out,
its about time that the world took a stance on this and maybe jsut maybe we can do our bit to help................soz for climbing on to my soap box but needed to get it off my chest

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
To anyone who uses the "Antarctica was once a temperate rainforest" excuse for global warming being a normal thing. Please do your research and stop it.

Yes Antarctica was a temperate rainforest once but this was millions of years ago when the continent of Antarctica was still attached to Gondwanaland and not at the South Pole where it is now. As the tectonic plates separated Antarctica moved south and became the ice covered continent it is today. Remnants of the species that once lived there can be found in South America and Africa today.

Andy

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
To anyone who uses the "Antarctica was once a temperate rainforest" excuse for global warming being a normal thing. Please do your research and stop it.

Yes Antarctica was a temperate rainforest once but this was millions of years ago when the continent of Antarctica was still attached to Gondwanaland and not at the South Pole where it is now. As the tectonic plates separated Antarctica moved south and became the ice covered continent it is today. Remnants of the species that once lived there can be found in South America and Africa today.

Andy
Andy, you are only helping me point out the earth is ever changing, the plates are still moving, and not to long ago (geologically) there was no ice cap. Do I think that man has devastated the environment, yes. However, they have no clue what the real reasons are for global warming. There was a thread on here once where many of us took the time to point out the scientific documentation for the greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere. I'm just annoyed with alarmists that speak out before they really know whats going on.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Please, someone, anyone...give me a list of real scientists (not right wing wackos) that don't believe global warming is real, and that the main greenhouse gasses at work are NOT CO2 and methane (from factory farms...another unsustainable practice, just one in a long list).

People who say "we don't really know, we haven't researched it long enough" (even though it has been over 20 years now) are just not getting it. We do too know! The truth is inconvenient sometimes.

We, humans, need to change. (Not just the U.S., but we should lead by example.) If we don't, we are screwed, just a few generations from now...

Maybe the answer is not ethanol and solar panels, maybe it's wind energy and algae as biofuel. I can agree that maybe we are not fixing it the right way yet, but what I CAN'T agree on, is that there is nothing to fix.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are parts of Greenland that are now being farmed that haven't been productive since the Vikings were the big guys on the block. Tell the people there that global warming is a bad thing. It's all a matter of perspective.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store