Would this tank be overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gafro

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England
Real Name
Gus
I have a 125l tank, so far with a male and female fighting fish, cherry shrimp, 8 white cloud mountain minnows, 5 female guppies, 5 male guppies and a bristlenose catfish.
I am planning to get 50 neon tetras and/or 40 more white cloud mountain minnows. would this be too many fish?
thanks in advance

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
is that 125 liters or gallons? Whats the filtration? A tank with bad filtration can be overstocked with far fewer fish then one with overdone filtration. And lat question, whats the measurements? Long, Tall, Deep type measurements.

If liters as i believe, then here are some things you should be warned of:
Betta(fighting fish), male or female, will fight, as their name suggests, among themselves and among other fish that look like betta (fancy guppies, long fined tetras, long fined anything really)
White Cloud Minnows need a colder tank the guppies and tetras, so you should put them in an entirely separate tank with other coldwater fish.
Guppies will breed, and are livebeares. If you do not already have babies you will within 2 months, and so many you cannot count them. Also, when you have both genders the best thing to do is have a male/female ratio of 1 male/2 females or more. If you do not you can have fighting between males. Females are fine in as large a group as the tank can safely support, as long as you are ready for the fry that will pour out of them.
Is that a bristlenose pleco? They need driftwood for food.

Here is what aquadvisor has to sat about it:

Note: Betta [Male] may jump - lids are recommended. They can become stressful under presence of too many shoaling species. Try to keep under 1 shoal if the tank is small. Individual bettas may exhibit varying degrees of aggression and care should be taken that exceptionally aggressive/territorial fish be separated from a community before any damage may occur.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Betta [Female] - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Bristlenose Pleco - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] will likely to fin nip Guppy.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Guppy - further research is highly recommended.
Note: Betta [Female] can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species. Also, they may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Betta [Female] is not recommended to be with Betta [Male] due to high male aggression.
Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Warning: Guppy is not recommended to be with Betta [Male] - male betta may attack a male guppy by mistake thinking he is another male betta.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 25 C.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 27% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 61%.

Here is a link: http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Thats without a filter. Technically your tank is not overstocked, but you should do some major changes before adding anything to it. You want your fish to be safe and happy, right?

Betta/fighting fish: Separite tanks, each gets at least 5-10 gallon tanks.
Wight Clouds: Separite tank, colder water with other coldwater fish. Small.
Guppies: More females or males will fight. Or dump the females totally and get all males, then there will be no breeding or fighting.
Pleco: Get driftwood for it to eat.

Do those things and your fish will live long and healthy lives.

Last edited:

gafro

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Real Name
Gus
the white clouds have been in a tropical tank since i got them ( 2 years ago) and have been doing fine. The betta's have been in the same tank for a long time aswell and i have not seen them fighting at all.At my LFS i was told that male betta's would live longer if there was a female in the tank. They havnt been fighting the guppies either. the tank is approx 3ft by 18" by 15" and atm i have an undergravel filter but at christmas i'm upgrading to a fluval u4 filter.

gafro

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Real Name
Gus
and no its not a bristle nose pleco. its a bristle nose catfish. at the fish store i remember they had both and was told the pleco would grow too big for my tank and that the catfish would only grow to about 6" or so.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
the white clouds have been in a tropical tank since i got them ( 2 years ago) and have been doing fine. The betta's have been in the same tank for a long time aswell and i have not seen them fighting at all.At my LFS i was told that male betta's would live longer if there was a female in the tank. They havnt been fighting the guppies either. the tank is approx 3ft by 18" by 15" and atm i have an undergravel filter but at christmas i'm upgrading to a fluval u4 filter.
Just because it appears to have been doing fine doesn't mean it is fine. I recently found out that my tanks were slowly killing off my fish because of bad care. Most betta fight, thats why their called Siamese Fighting Fish. White Cloud Minnows are a coldwater species, and will do best in a coldwater environment. Not saying they cannot live in warmer water, not saying all betta are fighters, but most of them are. I do not know whether betta actually live longer if there is a female, but i do know from experience that male and female betta will still try to kill each other when put in the same tank. I predict that the reason the betta haven't been fighting is because there are so few fish in the tank. They don't feel as though they need to fight, but adding to many new fish may cause them to become more aggressive.

As for fish, i would go with 20 neons and 10 clouds, if you really don't want to listen to me about you tank stocking levels. But when something goes wrong, remember what I've said here, it will help you correct he problem.

Can we have some pictures please?

and no its not a bristle nose pleco. its a bristle nose catfish. at the fish store i remember they had both and was told the pleco would grow too big for my tank and that the catfish would only grow to about 6" or so.
does it look like any of these:

1.jpg Bristlenose_Catfish_700.jpg bristlenose.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Or maybe its this:

p-39935-catfish.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Or possibly a cory cat of some sort

th-89784-Agassizi-cory.jpg th-89786-Albino-Aeneus-Cory.jpg th-89788-nanus-cory.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store