DIY 3D background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
Hey everyone. I'm going to be starting my 3D background for my 29g tank in a few minutes. I thought I'd keep record of it on here. So enjoy, and I welcome any suggestions and tips.

First photo is the tank, I am trimming some of the stand, so I can get my door open. (only opens half way)
Second photo is the Black diamond sand from Tractor Supply store. I think it's used for sand blasting.
Third is the foam and concrete paint. It's a brown/red color. So it should look good against the black sand. And for 25 bucks a gallon it better look great! Lowe's here don't carry pints or 1/2 gallons.

SANY0337.JPG SANY0355.JPG SANY0356.JPG

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Thanks for starting this thread. I will be following this closely.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
OK so hard at work... I cut through one package of foam.. Don't know if I'll need to cut the other just yet.

1st photo -- my tools (note to self and anyone else; to make one of these, use the knife, scissors really don't work.) The level I used for a ruler, couldn't find one to make straight lines. (just in case if someone was wondering about that)
2nd photo -- my little helper.
3rd photo -- working with 6in and 4in pieces.
4th photo -- the first foam to be cut
5th photo -- I was thinking of making a rock ledge/pot to hold some sand for plants.
6th photo -- first pack cut.

Now I need to clean up the kitchen floor. Before my son tries to eat the pieces of foam..

SANY0357.JPG SANY0358.JPG SANY0359.JPG SANY0360.JPG SANY0361.JPG SANY0362.JPG

Leginess

Flip, Flip, Flipadelphia!
Jul 7, 2010
Nebraska
Ahhh, ur goin that direction eh? may i suggest somehow putting in sort of jutting out pockets if you know what i mean? They look fantastic when you put a plant or two in them. Good luck!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks like a good build! I do have reservations about that stand though...wouldn't use it at all, IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store