Share your favorite fall dessert recipes!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Today with the falling leaves and beautiful weather I was inspired to make a Jewish Apple Cake. I have been making this recipe since I was 13. It was originally given to me by one of my horseback riding students and quickly became a favorite of my family then, and now. Its perfect for fall and I thought I would share it with my AC family! Feel free to share your favorite pumpkin/apple/fall recipes!

Jewish Apple Cake

Ingredients:
3 C Flour
2 1/4 C sugar
1 C oil
4 unbeaten eggs
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp Orange juice
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tsp baking powder
4 apples, thinly sliced

Directions:
Grease a tube pan thoroughly (its a "sticky" cake because of all the sugars from the apples)
Preheat oven to 350

Thinly slice 4 apples and toss with 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2C sugar.

Mix remaining ingredients until a stiff batter forms.

Layer batter and apples in the greased tube pan. Take care to make thin layers of the batter so that you don't have a ton of leftover apple slices (though they are a delicious treat!).

Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes or until done.

Cool on wire rack thoroughly before removing from pan. Use a pastry scraper or butter nice to make sure its not stuck to the sides of the pans.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not my recipe, but I love these warmed up on a cool fall/winter day....pics can be found here.....

http://www.food.com/recipe/jumbo-apple-cinnamon-rolls-422617

though I use a powdered sugar icing drizzled on them.....

Ingredients:

Serves: 12

Dough

Filling

Topping

Directions:

Prep Time: 4 1/2 hrs
Total Time: 5 1/4 hrs

1. 1 Mix together water, powder sugar and yeast - set aside for 10 minutes. It will become foamy.
  2. 2 In sauce pan over low heat - mix milk, sour cream, butter, sugar and applesauce. Do not boil. Remove from heat when mixture is warm.
  3. 3 Stir in yeast mixture.
  4. 4 Beat in the eggs.
  5. 5 Add flour gradually; 1 cup at a time- keep batter smooth.
  6. 6 Knead the dough.
  7. 7 Place dough in a large bowl and set inside a cold oven for 1 1/2 hours.
  8. 8 While you wait, Create your filling. Starting by Washing, peeling and dicing up your apples.
  9. 9 In sauce pan on low-med heat - cook together butter, applesauce and diced apples, sugars and cinnamon.
  10. 10 To prevent burning, stir frequently- mixture is ready when apple pieces are fork tender.
  11. 11 Now pour contents into food processor or blender, process until apple pieces are finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl and let it sit until dough is ready.
  12. 12 Now take out your risen dough, flour your work surface well - sprinkle with a bit of ground cinnamon.
  13. 13 Roll out your dough into a large rectangle.
  14. 14 Spread over the dough, but remember to leave at least a 1 inch margin along one of the longer sides of your rectangle.
  15. 15 Now starting at the opposite side, carefully begin to roll your dough.
  16. 16 Use a little bit of water to seal the ending side.
  17. 17 Begin to evenly cut your dough into 12 slices. (I find that using a piece of string to do this task prevents your roll from getting smashed).
  18. 18 Place slices swirled side facing up in greased and floured cake pan.
  19. 19 Again let dough rest in cool oven 1 hour or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night (makes for a nice breakfast treat).
  20. 20 Before baking, chop together the topping ingredients in a food processor. Sprinkle this over the rolls. (This can also be done before refrigerating).
  21. 21 Bake at 350°F about 45 or until done - edges should be a golden brown.

Last edited:

khaos1331

Sara
Mar 23, 2008
delaware
those both look really good! i always liked just taking an apple, cutting it in half, then sprinkling brown sugar (and, if i'm feeling extravagant (ie: not like a whale), some butter) and putting it in the oven.

the sugar carmelizes and it's like apple pie without the crust...yummmm. of course, nothing beats the real deal.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Granny Smith apples...sliced and with salt sprinkled on them...yummy...

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
Mama’s Mountain Pie

1 stick butter/margerine
1 cup sugar
1cup four
½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk
1 cup fruit,.. Ie. Apples fresh berries etc., all work and all great even cranberries if using cranberries add a we bit more sugar unless you like the tart flavor,. I do
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash nutmeg

Oven 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Melt butter in casserole dish
In separate bowl, mix rest of ingredients with spoon.
and stir in fruit.
pour into butter and bake,….

don't need to greese the pan but loosen with knife while cutting,..

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Pumpkin Crunch! :drool:
With all that butter the holidays are the only time I allow myself to have any...

Main ingredients:
1 can solid-pack pumpkin (29 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box yellow or white cake mix (spice cake sounds yummy, too!)
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted

1 small tub of cool whip topping, thawed

Mix the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon together. Pour into a 9X13 inch pan lined with parchment or waxed paper. Pour 1 box of cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture and pat nuts on the cake mix. Spoon melted butter evenly over the nuts.

note: I use regular salted butter - this with the nuts creates a nice salty/savory kick to the sweet pumpkin filling & creamy topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. When done, invert onto tray and peel off the paper. When slightly cooled, spread cool whip evenly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting/serving.

MsJ, I've been wanting to make an apple cake in forever! I have to try yours :)

Last edited:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Who has a recipe for Fudge? My dad used to make it from a recipe on the cocoa container... but that was back inthe 70's.

We used to have it around the holidays so i think of it as a fall thing.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Pumpkin Crunch! :drool:
With all that butter the holidays are the only time I allow myself to have any...

Main ingredients:
1 can solid-pack pumpkin (29 oz)
1 can evaporated milk (13 oz)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 box yellow or white cake mix (spice cake sounds yummy, too!)
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted

1 small tub of cool whip topping, thawed

Mix the pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon together. Pour into a 9X13 inch pan lined with parchment or waxed paper. Pour 1 box of cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture and pat nuts on the cake mix. Spoon melted butter evenly over the nuts.

note: I use regular salted butter - this with the nuts creates a nice salty/savory kick to the sweet pumpkin filling & creamy topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. When done, invert onto tray and peel off the paper. When slightly cooled, spread cool whip evenly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting/serving.

MsJ, I've been wanting to make an apple cake in forever! I have to try yours :)

mmmmmm this sounds good!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
perfect timing... we just made a jewish apple cake today. :D recipe's still out...

apple mixture...mix up and set aside:
5 large apples peeled and cut into small chunks
2 tsp cinnamon
5 tblsp sugar

batter... mix together:
3 cups sifted flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup veggie oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup orange juice
3 tsp baking powder
2.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 tblsp salt

grease + flour bunt pan
pour 1/2 the batter
pour 1/3 - 2/3 apple mixture
pour rest of batter
pour rest of apple mixture

bake @ 350 for 1 hour 10 minutes
fork test
bake longer if necessary... 1.5 hours should be plenty (we did 1 hour 20 minutes today and want to go less next time... i think our oven might be at fault, though)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store