Important News about Transporting CO2 Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Careful! Caution! Warning!

I went to refill my co2 tank this weekend. Having moved into a new apartment I do not have access to all of Dad's tools, I was unable to remove my regulator. "I'll just see if they have a set of wrenches at Airgas." I put the tank and my regulator in the car, drove, carried it in and asked if they had something to remove it with.

The guy was happy to do it (after he lectured me about not using channel locks) but strongly suggested and informed to me that it is ILLEGAL to drive with your co2 regulator on your co2 tank.

I have not verified this yet, but I will seek an answer in the next few days. Until then, do not transport your co2 tank with your regulator installed.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
i believe it's true. i've heard the same thing about pressurized gas containers before. i think movie special effects and the thought of a speeding torpedo might have something to do with it.

example; lien tank on side, break off regulator with blunt object... instant unguided torpedo/missile... :screwy:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Federal law makes it illegal to transport ANY charged compressed gas in a passenger car, or any compressed gas with regulator intact during transport. You are also required to placard the vehicle according to the container contents.

Yeah, I know nobody does it or takes it serious but it is the law. I often refill my oxy-acet or argon tanks all the time and never placard. Same thing with my 75/25 tanks. (75% CO2/25% argon).

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i believe it's true. i've heard the same thing about pressurized gas containers before. i think movie special effects and the thought of a speeding torpedo might have something to do with it.

example; lien tank on side, break off regulator with blunt object... instant unguided torpedo/missile... :screwy:
I guess that's a good point. But does having a regulator attached make it that much easier for the tank to turn into a torpedo? If anything if the regulator broke wouldn't the co2 tank just empty the co2 and not turn into a torpedo?

The tank would only do that if it was punctured.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
if the pin/valve was stuck open it would have the same effect as puncturing the tank...

however, that effect is usually nothing close to what we think it is... and dropping/losing a tank out of a speeding vehicle would certainly have enough effect if the tank were to hit something that the "torpedo effect" would be irrelevant.

personally... i've never seen a punctured tank of any kind do anything more than spin in circles............. or fall over and hissssss.................... sometimes throwing flames (obviously that tank wasn't co2!!!)...............................

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Something to think about, seeing my new tank should be in this week. How do you care for the tank after you get it filled. Wasn't there a guy whose tank exploded while he was driving it home after being refilled?

maverickbr77

la-te-da
Jan 26, 2009
Lowville, NY
Real Name
Adam
if the pin/valve was stuck open it would have the same effect as puncturing the tank...

however, that effect is usually nothing close to what we think it is... and dropping/losing a tank out of a speeding vehicle would certainly have enough effect if the tank were to hit something that the "torpedo effect" would be irrelevant.

personally... i've never seen a punctured tank of any kind do anything more than spin in circles............. or fall over and hissssss.................... sometimes throwing flames (obviously that tank wasn't co2!!!)...............................

they shot one through a couple cinder block walls on mythbusters.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I guess one rationale would be that WITHOUT the regulator, you KNOW that the tank is either closed at the main valve or empty.

A properly manufactured tank is engineered and pressure tested, including the main valve. If the tank is transported with a regulator, that regulator becomes a new variable. Suppose the main valve was left open... Just how reliable is that Chinese-made eBay regulator? Sure, it works fine at home, but does it hold back 900 psi when I drive over a pothole? Will it handle overpressure if I leave the tank in the hot car?

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
I work a great deal with placarding vehicles and transporting explosives and I have all the rule books on it at work. I will let you know when I come back home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store