snail shell erosion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
Ok, I have a tank with a large piece of driftwood in it. My snail population seems to be struggling. For snails like my ramshorns that are always visible, I don't think I have a single adult ramshorn whose shell isn't entirely white and pitted. I've tried putting coral into my filter and tank but that doesn't seem to help much. Is there any additive I can use or special food I can put in that will give them a calcium boost? Can I simply buy calcium tablets at the drug store and plop one in?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I have driftwood in my tanks with healthy baby briggs... I feed veggies (canned green beans, frozen/thawed fresh zucchini, deshelled peas) twice a week. My old ramshorn & mts have shown huge improvement in shell growth! The snello recipe in the invert sticky has added calcium powder & is popular in my tanks (fish & snails alike).

Water hardness I think doesn't build shell, ingested calcium does. Tho it is true that if water is too soft/acidic there will be shell erosion... What is your ph/gh?

Not sure what mine is, but I had pretty poor ramshorn shell growth until I started adding veggies for the briggs!

Edit: yes you can add calcium pills from the drugstore, but the dissolving pill throws up some debris/can be messy and people have said it also clouded their water. I use pills in my snello & didn't have a clouding issue, but pills straight into the tank was messier.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
My water is extremely soft and on the acid side, and all my snails show erosion, too. Feeding calcium-rich snello helps a lot. I can actually see a demarcation of improved shell quality on my apple snail's shell, that started when I began feeding the snello.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store