10 gallon crabitat build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
So, I am finally getting my crabitat going. I have been gathering stuff to get it all put together, but somehow it just kept getting put off. Not Anymore. lol
Anyways, here is what I am planning on doing:
10 gallon tank with mostly sand (play sand) and some gravel on the bottom, with a few inches of water on one side. I have a couple DIY tunnels made from pvc, that I am going to hide in the sand. I plan on getting a coconut to make a crab clubhouse in one corner.
I have an internal filter, Penn-Plax Cascade 300, that I am going to hide behind a rock waterfall I am currently making right now. I have a small piece of driftwood I'm going to stick in there too. I need some suggestions for some plants. Is there anything I can put in there since I'm not going to have a lot of water?
I have taken some pictures of the process and will try and get them up after work in the morning. I work nights, so as soon as I get outta here, I'm going to get started again.
:feedback:If you have any suggestions please let me know, since I have never built one of these before, any help is appreciated.
Dereck

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I imagine a lot depends on which type of crab you have.

I was pretty optimistic using hornwort in my Rainbow (Patriot) Crab's tank, but he still demonlished that completely. Those were submerged in my setup and you're talking here about plants above the water.... would still help to know which crab species you're setting this up for.

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
How do I figure out which ones I am getting? They are they ones at the LFS but they don't have the scientific names posted, not to mention, I can't find a list of species for fiddler crabs that have pictures with them. Maybe I will stop at the LFS today and try to get some info on them. Maybe I won't do any plants and just keep it simple for now. From what I have read about them they are most likely going to shred them anyways. I know they are just the regular crabs that are always at walmart. Though I will not be getting mine from there.

Last edited:

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Also I was thinking about the stock and m/f ratio...do you think 2m/3f would be pushing it in a 10 gallon? I am going to start out with 1m/3f, and get another male down the road if everything is going ok. What do y'all think?

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
Ok, so I have been pretty busy lately but I did get to work on the crabitat a little and figured I would update with some pics.
I have to go get a different filter, the one I was going to use isn't going to work out like I planned so I need to exchange that tonight. I did build a rock waterfall but it looked horrible because it started to fall apart halfway through. I gotta re-think this through.
But here is what I have now.

What do you think?

IMGA0408.JPG IMGA0409.JPG IMGA0412.JPG IMGA0415.JPG IMGA0417.JPG IMGA0419.JPG IMGA0420.JPG

ddmiddle7

AC Members
Sep 30, 2010
Indiana
I bought a coconut and made a crab hut that is in the back right corner and repostioned the tunnel because it was below the water line which caused the sand to start flowing into the tunnel. I know this may happen regardless since the fiddlers like to borrow, but I am hoping they won't mess it up quickly at least, cause I defintely want to get some photos of them in the tube if I can. I'm think I may have to scrap this whole plan of a rock wall around the filter since I can't seem to get it to work how I want it. Maybe I will just get a few good sized stones to place under the flow of water. I am just trying to find a way to limit splashing, because I don't want to disurb the sand and gravel too much if possible. I will update with pics as soon as I figure it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store