46 Gallon Bow front build.. I will update weekly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mancas24

AC Members
Sep 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Manolo
I bought this 46 gallon bowfront off of craigslist for 40 bucks. I will be updating this thread as often as possible. I plan on going with minimal plants and maximum driftwood. I want to discus but i am most likely gonna stick to my ebjd and some other fish i got overstocked in another tank we will. see.
i will do the discus if someone knows somewhere i can get some nice fish for a reasonable price.

46 gallon.jpg 46 gallon 1.jpg

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I bought this 46 gallon bowfront off of craigslist for 40 bucks. I will be updating this thread as often as possible. I plan on going with minimal plants and maximum driftwood. I want to discus but i am most likely gonna stick to my ebjd and some other fish i got overstocked in another tank we will. see.
i will do the discus if someone knows somewhere i can get some nice fish for a reasonable price.
lookin good! Can't wait to see it finished :)

I'm not 100% sure, but i think discuss need a larger tank then a 46gal. I think it was 55 gal or larger. What are the dimensions?

Anyway, i would go with option 2, it sounds like that would be the better thing to do, it will help the fish more then getting another tank and overstocking it again.

Good Luck, whatever path you take!

mancas24

AC Members
Sep 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Manolo
Here is a quick update finally finished the painting of the stand.. I wish i had a better camera than my crappy cell phone cause it does not do the stand justice. I painted the stand with a dark wood stain, put about three coats of varnish on it, put a new knob and hinges on it, i also added a magnet to keep the door closed. Oh and i added a pic of my new truck woo hoo. I plan on making the rim of the tank the same color as the stand with some sticky imitation dark wood paper.

46 gallon painted 1.jpg 46 gallon painted 2.jpg 46 gallon painted 3.jpg 46 gallon painted 4.jpg 46 gallon painted 5.jpg

mancas24

AC Members
Sep 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Manolo
Hey fish friend i agree on needing a bigger tank for discus n=but i plan on adding alot of filtration to this tank. I will most likely go with the 2nd option for now to avoid all the water changes that come with keeping discus. My 55 gallon is overstocked due to fish growth and i need to sell some of these fish.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
I'm guessing you're not going to be stocking that ram in one of your tanks? :rofl:

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Hey fish friend i agree on needing a bigger tank for discus n=but i plan on adding alot of filtration to this tank. I will most likely go with the 2nd option for now to avoid all the water changes that come with keeping discus. My 55 gallon is overstocked due to fish growth and i need to sell some of these fish.

Just my added few cents.... Typically Discus are added to an already established system, not a new one. Also I am not sure if you have ever had discus but from my understanding they need the very best of water quality.

mancas24

AC Members
Sep 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Manolo
Just my added few cents.... Typically Discus are added to an already established system, not a new one. Also I am not sure if you have ever had discus but from my understanding they need the very best of water quality.

I actually have not and no matter how much i read on them, it seems like they are still a bit of a mystery fish... I would say it is best s=to add any fish to an already established tank to ensure good health ( especially exotics). I do want to get them but i hate to see mistreated fish and probably wont get them till i am sure i can keep them in perfect conditions.

mancas24

AC Members
Sep 27, 2008
Orlando, FL
Real Name
Manolo
update of the build

I finally painted the trim and i am super happy with the way it came out. it looks like real wood now. let me know what you guys think. :)

I still have to varnish it and clean some spots up

46gallon1.jpg 46gallon2.jpg 46gallon3.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store