UV Sterilizer - Suggestion Seeking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PhoenixFire

AC Members
Nov 8, 2010
I am thinking about putting a UV sterilizer on my 72g bowfront display tank. After doing just a little bit of research it seems they are rated similar to filters in terms of tank size and the price tag doesn't look very cheap. I'm curious what your opinions and recommendations are on this possible purchase. Is there any particular brand or model that is the best? Is there one that is the best for the money and what are the differences? Thanks for your help :).

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I have always sternly advised that they are a complete waste of money. Other people will say otherwise.

UV will only kill things that float through it. So parasites that are attached to fish, and algae attached to plants and surfaces will not be affected. What UV 'fixes' are easily remedied by proper tank maintenance.

A lot of UV 'benefits' are simple marketing hype.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I'm in favor of a UV sterilizer if you can afford it. IT's not needed but it can really help provide peace of mind.

I battled a bacterial infection twice in my 80 gallon mbuna tank. The meds were expensive and it spread quickly. I got a UV sterilizer and it stopped spreading and I was able to cure the tank. Never had to deal with the stuff again. I also use it after adding new fish to prevent anything from spreading. This has worked great! Way better that QTing since in QT my mbuna tend to tear each other to shreds.

I know on MFK some EBJD breeders/owners use a UV sterilizer to help EBJD get to the critical 3" mark. EBJD are very prone to parasites when they are small and with a UV sterilizer it tens to help then resist infection.

funkman262

AC Members
Jul 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
Michael
I've been battling green water after recently increasing my photoperiod and after trying several methods to no avail, I decided yesterday to spring for a UV sterilizer. I too bought the Green Killing Machine from Petsmart (24W). I started it less than 24 hours ago but based on the reviews I've seen, it should be crystal clear within the next few days. I'll update you to let you know how it goes.

PhoenixFire

AC Members
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks funkman that would be great. From what I have read on the net the GKM seems to be a good sterilizer for the money. I'm hoping you have good results.

Borgey

Puffer Fish Freak
Nov 9, 2010
East Providence, RI
Real Name
Andrew
Hrm I have a couple UV sterilizers but have never used them. I think since my Puffers are pretty prone to internal parasites maybe I should start using one of them on my two Puffer tanks. I have had one issue of IPs with a new Puffer but other then that all has been good. But for a little more peace of mind it sounds worth it to me. Will a 15 watt UV Sterilizer be OK for a 30 gallon? By the way sorry to ask questions in your thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store