JBJ Nano Cube Sucks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
Warning - do not buy a JBS Nano Cube (12 gallon). The product looks great but when you get into it there are problems:

1) No heater and it doesn't look like an after market heater can be fitted in.

2) Instructions are horrible - here they are

(1) Fill the tank with water...
(2) The first plug starts the circulation pump.
(3) The second plug turns the light on.
(4) Flip the switch to on.

That's it!

I made the mistake of buying two to be used as hospital tanks (1 marine and the other FW). Today I admitted my first patient - a Guarami with bugeye. The currant is so strong that I have to turn the circulation off periodically to allow the fish to rest. I can't find a switch to lower the circulation power and, of course, there aren't any instructions on this topic. Also, the "help" telephone rings without an answer.

This is a piece of #%*!

Bill Schultz

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
Although I have not heard from JBJ regarding my concerns, I did visit a local fish store that carried the Nano Cube. They didn't have one set up but the employee examined the tank and found the answer to two of my concerns:

1) No heater and it doesn't look like an after market heater can be fitted in.

He found that in the upper right hand side of the tank in the back there is a pull away piece of rubber that will provide space for a heater cord. I purchased two 50 watt 6" heaters and now my hospital patient(s) will have heat.

Also to this problem: "The current is so strong that I have to turn the circulation off periodically to allow the fish to rest."

He pulled the motor apart and found a slide that regulates the flow. It appears that the factory setting is "wide open." The best setting seems to be almost shut.

Bill Schultz

Bill Schultz

AC Members
Nov 30, 2003
Lawrenceville, GA
www.ubsinfo.com
Don't do it.

Since my last post another problem has been discovered. The front lid of the saltwater tank doesn't seat properly and it permits leakage down onto the front of the glass - I'm always wiping the tank and its a pain.

Bill

Lecba

AC Members
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
I have had my nano cube up and running for almost a year, and have never had any problem. I had a heater in the back, and there is plenty of room. I removed the heater because the tank maintains 78-80 degrees 24 hours a day. I have never had water leak down the front, but I can see it happening if there is too much water in it (mine is always filled to within 1/8" of the top). As for the current, I went so far as to add a Rio 200 to addd additional current which is wide open. I have Black Ocellaris that has a little cave in the rocks that he retreats to when the lights go out, but as long as the lights are on, he's swimming all over the place. He loves the current!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
lecba!

Hey,
If I were you I'd get rid of that Rio FAST!!!!! I had one of them blow oil all over my fish only tank killed almost everything I have. I've seen a lot of threads here where all kinds of people have lost a bunch of fish due to the same failure. Please, please get rid of it before you have the same experience.
Warm regards
chris

Last edited:

Lecba

AC Members
Feb 10, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
Interesting fact on the Rio. I usually don't get too deep into the "hardware" specs of pumps and such. What is a good alternative?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I don't get into hardware mcuh either but, I'd avoid anything oil filled like rio or maxi jet. Sorry I saw that and just had to say something to you.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
why would they be oil filled and if there are others that are not whats the dif?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store