Convict...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ok so i troll any fish store with in an hours drive of me quite often inducing, petsmart...( i refuse to go to petco.)
..so there has been this female convict in the store for some time...missing her tail, it dose not look like it had been cut of but maybe a deformity..she is really cute..i have a 35 gallon tank up...that i could put her in ..but should i get her?....i dont normally like the no tail look , and its horrifying how they do it but this one looks as if it was born that way ....shes been there a few months (bright red belly...female?)

what you guys think?..i might go get a pic of her to post and see if its a birth defect or cut.(if cut i will not get)

any thoughts/comments?

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
I would say whatever makes you feel better. It's really not the fishe's fault that it doesn't have a tail, and it would pull at my heartstrings, and I would probably get it, if I liked it, however, if they are cutting their tails off for profit, somehow, that would just be one more sales worth of encouragement to continue to do so. I guess it depends what kind of person you are. I typically think this way...If I don't buy the fish, there will be millions more like it anyway, that people WILL end up buying. No one's going to miss the sale of that ONE fish. You can complain to the management, and spew ethics in there ear all day long, but that won't matter if thousands of other people are buying them. I tend personally at the smaller picture..The fish is disabled, and you actually care about it. You might take better care of it than the next joeblow who walks through the store, and sees it as something "cute" to give to their kid in a bowl.....That's just my personal opinion....

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
well.... i got it..someone was at the tank when i got there saying how cute it was and it would fit in there 'bowl' ..she was on sail for 2 $..he she? ....here are some pics!..im very happy..it looks like a birth defect to me.

any idea on sex would be great, it was the brightest one in the tank!

could not get any great shots but here you go!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Do they really cut the tails off of them?
yeah..sadly they do it to blood parrots allot when they are young fry to make 'heart' fish...this one looks like a birth defect...when cut there is a straight line at the base...

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
bump...what you guys think of her?..birth defect? or was the poor thing cut...ill try to get better pics as she settles in...im going to devote a 22 gallon to her.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
As a deformed fish her outlook is pretty poor. If you choose to keep her tankmates will be a problem. As a cichlid, she will be far too aggressive for a community tank, at the same time being vulnerable to similar tempered fish. Her best future would be euthanasia. If not, I would suggest devoting a 10 gallon tank all to herself with no other mates (larger than a 10 is fine.) Did you ask how she got this way? I doubt that it was a birth defect.

A full grown healthy convict gets to 4-4 1/2". Out of all the breeding I have done with them, not a single one ever came out minus a caudal.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
As a deformed fish her outlook is pretty poor. If you choose to keep her tankmates will be a problem. As a cichlid, she will be far too aggressive for a community tank, at the same time being vulnerable to similar tempered fish. Her best future would be euthanasia. If not, I would suggest devoting a 10 gallon tank all to herself with no other mates (larger than a 10 is fine.) Did you ask how she got this way? I doubt that it was a birth defect.

A full grown healthy convict gets to 4-4 1/2". Out of all the breeding I have done with them, not a single one ever came out minus a caudal fin.
f

This fish was from PetSmart and had been there fore about 4 months, the employees said they do not buy cut fish..so they knew nothing.

i know your trying to be helpful..but im not going to put the fish down because something is wrong with it, as long it can live a normal life..that just cruel...

iv already said im going to devote an entire tank to her probably going to plant it and fill it with guppies ( i breed my own ) and let her have fun.

i thank you for your advise but putting a fish down 'just because' it had something horrible done to it, is a horrible suggestion that i do not appreciate ..i plan on keeping this fish and giving it the best quality of life possible..for how ever long she has.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
bump

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
shes full of color and is a little eating machine!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store