Need HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I have a 100 gal fish tank that is plagued with brown algae. Twice a month I have to do major tank maintance on that tank; consisting of taking every rock and decoration out of the tank and scraping and scrubbing the algae off, as well as vacuuming the subtrate, filter maintance, and a 75% water change. I expect to do regular tank maintance with the filter maintance, vacuuming, and water changes, but this algae has to go!! I have peacocks, brichardis, a raphael cat, and a spotted cat. Are there any algae eaters that would take care of this brown algae? How many would I need for that size tank? Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
How long has this tank been running? Is this only tank you have? If you have few tanks, is this the only tank with brown agae?

Sounds like Diatom. With an assumption that this is diatom, is it possible to test silicate, PO4 levels in both tap/tank water?
What kind of lighting (type, wattage, length, bulbs) and duration of light? dimension of the tank?

Pics possible?

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
How long has this tank been running? Is this only tank you have? If you have few tanks, is this the only tank with brown agae?

Sounds like Diatom. With an assumption that this is diatom, is it possible to test silicate, PO4 levels in both tap/tank water?
What kind of lighting (type, wattage, length, bulbs) and duration of light? dimension of the tank?

Pics possible?
This tank has been running for about 16 years or so. The subtrate is aquarium gravel. I have holey rock, slate, even a couple of pieces of coral, and assorted rocks in the tank. The tank is 72 inches in length. and I believe 19 incles tall. Bulbs are just standard aquarium bulbs, not sure the wattage. The tank is at least 15 feet away from window light. The tank lights are on somewhere between 8-12 hrs a day. I have another tank, 110 gal. with crushed coral subtrate. It is in a florida room with 5 windows and sliding glass doors. It gets plenty of light, and no algae problems with that one! Why is the 100 gal the only tank with the algae problem? I am including a few pictures. The first two are the 100 gal and the last one is the 110.

nano55

AC Members
May 14, 2007
not that it has anything to do with your diatom problem, but those are gorgeous tanks
Thanks!! I've had fish tanks since I was in the 4th grade, and I'm not even gonna tell ya how long ago that was, lol! :D I can't remember ever having a tank with algae like this that I can't seem to get rid of. I really don't want to dump any medication or chemicals in it if I can help it to get rid of the problem, so was hoping maybe plecos might be the solution, I don't know. Chinese algae eaters? What ever would need to get along with peacocks and brichardis.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
Chinese algae eaters don't get along with anything.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
With an assumption that those strips are 36" long each, most like 30W 36" bulbs.

Does each strip holds two bulbs or one?

If bulbs are old, may be time for a change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store