Winterizing RES

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
My neighbor just told me that he is taking his RES out of the pond and putting them in a box with sand to hibernate. That just doesn't sound right to me because they are aquatic turtles. What kind of advice can I give him? I live in San Diego so it isn't really cold here.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
You're right, what your neighbor is doing is wrong. You might be able to get Tortoises to hibernate that way but not aquatic turtles. He should just leave the turtles in the pond. They probably will stay active all year where you live seeing how it doesn't get very cold in San Diego. In the wild where they are native that species digs down into the mud at the bottom of a pond to hibernate. Unlike land species like box turtles, RES need water to hibernate in.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
there a bunch of people that hibernate res by placing them in boxes in cold places even bottom drawers of fridges. I was always too scared to risk it with my res. I take them inside my garage in a seperate holding tank. If your pond is too shallow the res won't be able to insulate themselves from the cold and they'll die. They do burrow in the mud, but my pond is too shallow with not enough mud. Box hibernating is common with turtle breeders i believe.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Forcing a turtle to hibernate can be stressful if not deadly especially making them do something that is unnatural for them. I've been keeping and breeding various turtle species for over 20 years and I'd NEVER recommend someone to do that. There are very few species that need to be made to hibernate. It's not hard to just bring the turtle indoors for a few months and keep it in a large rubbermaid tub. And like the OP said, he/she are in San Diego. Not exactly a place known for it's harsh winters.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
I agree with not forcing them also I take mine in for about 2-3months a year just to be on the safe said. Just saying it's doable and many people do it year after year with no problems. I just wouldn't do it either

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store