60 gallon hex build journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fizgig

Horseyness + Fishyness = Happiness
Apr 19, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
So this morning I picked up a 60 gallon AGA hex off Craigslist. The seller ended up living just around the corner from me, which was handy. It came with a funky homemade stand that is square, not hexagonal, so I'll use it for now, and figure out something else while the tank is cycling. Have a few leads on CL, and if that doesn't work out, will either build or buy from the LFS. It came with a 3x15 watt AGA light fixture/hood, some gravel and a Whisper 4 power filter, for $80. I'm headed out now to get a heater, thermometer, test kit, biomedia and new light bulbs, then come home and get the thing filled up with water and add some ammonia. I thought about just picking up some guppies to kick-start the cycle, but I'll be leaving town on Monday, and didn't want to leave hubby with newly purchased fish that might kick the bucket. So, I'll fishless cycle best I can with my travel schedule, and don't expect to get this thing stocked up until closer to Christmas.

Final plan is to have this slightly brackish with Java fern, Java moss, anubias, and the stocking list will be:

15 bumblebee gobies
10-15 shrimp (I know glass shrimp will work, need to check on other types)
10-15 guppies
5-6 black mollies
5-6 Celebes rainbows
Possibly some glass fish if I can find unpainted ones

As far as hardware, this will eventually be filtered by an Eheim Can (2215?) with an in-line heater, and lit with 4x24 watt HO T-5's. Some of that might be on my Christmas wish list. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I will get some pics up once this beastie has some water in it, and keep this thread updated as it comes together over the next several weeks.

I have to say it feels good to be back in it after an 8-year hiatus!

fizgig

Apr 19, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I was thinking actual glass fish rather than glass cats, but I'd love it if I could keep glass cats in a light brackish tank. I'm planning on setting it at only about 1.05 salinity - would that be OK for glass cats?

No plans to raise any fry. Good to know about the mollies; I've never really kept livebearers before. Checked with the LFS, and they have some nice Celebes rainbows as well as a nice variety of guppies, koi swordtails, black lyretail mollies and dalmatian mollies. Hopefully they'll be able to order in bumblebee gobies for me if I'm willing to buy 15-20 to make it worth the order.

The LFS quoted me $200 for a wood stand for the tank which would definitely blow the budget, so I guess I'll be building one from scratch if my CL leads don't pan out. I've got plenty of scrap lumber laying around, so it shouldn't cost more than $25 to build a stand, and I think my time's worth the $175 I'll save!

fizgig

Apr 19, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
This is about the most boring build thread ever. :p I got the tank filled, put in a Jager heater rated for up to 79 gallons, but it can't seem to get the tank over about 74 degrees. Added ammonia, but I suspect that the cycle is going slowly due to the temp. We keep our house pretty cold in the winter, so I suspect that the heater just isn't designed to get the water 20F warmer than room temp. Need to spring for an in-line heater sooner rather than later. The Whisper power filter it came with is running now, but my Eheim canister should be here tomorrow, along with my test kit, so I can see where I stand on ammonia and nitrites.

Today I found a nice end table on Craig's List that is just the exact right size to use as a stand. Nicer and much easier than trying to build a hex stand. I just need to reinforce it with 2x4's on the inside to ensure that it can hold all this weight.

So, some quick pics of the tank and stand (not running the lights yet, just had them on for the pics). No tank background as the tank is visible from all sides.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
that end table will look nice as a stand :) good deal on the tank.

cryeth_the_raven

fumbling towards ecstasy
Feb 10, 2009
CT
Real Name
Trev
Not boring at all- you got an awesome deal and the tank looks really nice. Keep the updates.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Pretty tank and stand. I look forward to seeing it come together. :)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I love large hex tanks that have enough horizontal swimming space to make stocking easier... Nice find with that stand!

fizgig

Apr 19, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Thank you for the kind comments, I'm so happy that this board has remained so friendly and positive. :)

My order came from Big Al's today, and I just got my Eheim 2215 up and running. There is a ton of filter media in that thing! No comparison to the HOB Whisper. Set up the flow return horizontally, but I'm thinking with the intake in one corner, and the return vertical in the other corner, and an in-line heater, there will be very little visual clutter. Also got my test kit today and came out with zeros for both ammonia and nitrite, so I threw in more ammonia and will hopefully start getting some readings. Hoping to retrofit the stand and get the tank moved so I can put in substrate and decor after Thanksgiving.

Pics of my loot and the Eheim:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store