Fish getting into Eheim 2012 filter - how?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finley

AC Members
Hi

My young Bettas are always getting into the internal filter (Eheim 2012), then getting stuck in there. I can't for the life of me see a way for them to get in. Where is the hole?

BTW, I am talking about fish that are definitely too big to enter via the filter grill.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am sorry but I don't know. I hope you find out soon.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I don't see how they could get into your filter other than the uptake. Maybe there is a hole in the uptake tube or a gap in the grill?? Just how big are these little fish? They can squeeze into small spaces sometimes.

Finley

AC Members
Yes, I do turn it off when cleaning and am always careful to check for fish before putting the filter back together. They actually disappear between cleanings, then reappear after cleaning looking very bedraggled and unhappy but usually still alive!

The 2012 is fairly powerful; it would take some kind of ninja fish to swim against such a current and down into the body of the filter. Also, if they came in that way they could even more easily get out again. They must be entering on the in-flow in some way, and getting stuck.

None of my other fish ever do this BTW; it's only the young Bettas!

mworks

Registered Member
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Remove the filters strainer or whatever is covering the intake and under bright light press on the parts of it. They sometimes get tiny cracks that don't show unless you put something against it then it opens up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store