New discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alig666

AC Members
Aug 20, 2000
London
Hi,

I have a spare 30x18x15 tank. Would this tank coupled with a fluidised sand filter be big enough to house either 2 adult discus or 6 juveniles ? A guy at my LFS reckons 6 juvenilles will be fine for about 6 months and its too small for 2 adults.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
What is that about a 29 or 30 gallon? You may get away with having 3 - 4 juvies... I wouldn't add adults though. They need about 40 gallons... They should stay small for a while. ;) It also depends on whether or not you have a bigger tank to add them to in the future. :cool:

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
You could have 2 adults or 6 juveniles if you are trying to breed and want them to pair up. That would be an excellent breeding tank.

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
BUT, you filtration may not be right!

Discus need perfect water parameters that need freq large water changes and good outside or cannister filtration. Many people recommend a bare bottom tank to keep the tank clean as the young discus grow.

Go to simplydiscus.com and look around and ask questions there before you make your decision.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
True, I missed the fluidized bed filter. I'm not sure how that works so you might want to ask others if that will work.
Discus, however, do not need a bare bottom. I have kept and bred them for 20 years and I have planted tanks. I have tried both ways and as long as you keep the water quality excellent discus will thrive in either type of tank, and I find that the discus get stressed less easily when they have hiding places.
This could be a big debate, there are good arguements on both sides. I find bare bottom tanks to be boring and unnatural (Yes discus come from waters that don't have many plants but have roots, branches etc. and plenty of hiding places). Don't listen to those that tell you there is only one way to keep discus. Talk to different people who keep discus successfully and pick the way that suits you the best. They will be your fish and as long as you stick to excellent water quality they will be fine.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Deb2
I find bare bottom tanks to be boring and unnatural (Yes discus come from waters that don't have many plants but have roots, branches etc. and plenty of hiding places). Don't listen to those that tell you there is only one way to keep discus.
I agree, totally! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store