Fin nipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Why does fish fin nip?

Question: I noticed once in a while my dist.affininis (tetra related) would fin nip some of my other fish (tinfoil barbs, elephant nose, red tail shark). do they do this because they are Hungary and I am not feeding them? When i do feed them more, there tends to be less fin nipping. Anyone have experience with this and know the real reason why they are fin nipping?

Tristan

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Singapore
I think some fish are just nasty...
My chocolate gourami eats so much that he looks gravid... he still attacks my other fish all the time...
nasty... ferocious little guy...

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
So then feeding them more wont curb it? My distichidus Affinis generally is not mean. They are VERY timid fish. It doesnt happen all the time..maybe once a month I would notice a nipped fin. I was wondering why? They arent aggressive.. I would like to reduce feedings because My nittrates are too high.. to the point it is bringing down the PH of the tank.. Thanks

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Originally posted by Tristan
I think some fish are just nasty...
My chocolate gourami eats so much that he looks gravid... he still attacks my other fish all the time...
nasty... ferocious little guy...
Tristan: so what are you going to do about that? or just let nature take its course?

Tristan

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Singapore
he's not doing any damage... my other fish (mostly other gouramis) can fend for themselves quite well...
My tank filled with hiding places for the timid fish to hide...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store