Mildly controversial topic, prestressing fish for shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Okay, so I think I stumbled onto a mildly controversial topic. Let me preface this with the concept that I apply when shipping certain species of corydoras. The black corys seem to be like several other species of cory, in that when they are stressed they release a toxin. Given that the packing/shipping is stressing in general, they end up releasing toxins in their small amount of water and end up poisoning themselves. So the method to avoid this? Stress them before packing, water change, and then pack them. So far this has worked pretty well, although I'm still leery about sending them via priority mail.

I made a video of me stressing a group prior to packing, and given that this is for entertainment purposes, I made it a bit dramatic. I normally don't go to this much effort, I just pull them from their tank, let them sit in a dip n pour, then change the water in it for fresh water after about 10 minutes, just prior to bagging.

And finally, let me once again emphasize that I really do love my fishies =]

Last edited:

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
haha very funny :)

smcsharry

AC Members
Nov 2, 2010
Boston, MA
Real Name
Sean
[YT]kYfpi_9lgQE[/YT]
I know I am new, and you are one of the oldest, but why would you do this to your fish just to get a laugh? Nothing like being in a tiny hang on and getting attacked by a giant shark. How could this be a good idea?

I’m sure it would be like a 100 foot tall monster attacking your house. I'm sure the 100 foot guys would get a giggle, but how would you feel?

I’m sure they are ok after this. But why would this be a good idea for the poor little guys?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store