Dwarf Gourami with male Guppies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Ive read so many different things. Some say no guppies with dwarf gouramis and others say its ok. Id like to know the real info which is why I came here! I have 2 dwarf gouramis and 4 rainbow fish and I would like to move my male guppies in with them. Most of them are small but not tennie tiny. My females are larger but I dont want the gouramis to eat their fry so that wont work. Would it be ok though for the males? Also would the gouramis eat molly and platy fry? Thanks.

Melissa

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
What kind of DG are they? And what size of tank?

Last edited:

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
1 is a neon blue and the other is a red flame. They are in a 29 gal with the 4 dwarf rainbows right now. I didnt mention earlier that the rainbows are dwarf as are the gouramis.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'm surprised your dwarf gourami are getting along. Most dwarfs will fight with each other.

I think you could try it. If it does not work,put the guppies back in the tank they came from.

The gourami will more than likely eat all the fry they can get.

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Really? Everything I read said to keep them in sets of 2. They dont fight at all. The neon is slightly smaller than the flame but they seem to get along just fine.

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
I have a dwarf gourami in with feeder guppies (I don't know if longer fins would make a difference) and I've never seen him chase the guppies, jsut shove them out of the way when he wants at an algae tab. They do eat fry, though.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I agree with Chevelle. I'd try it and see what happens. You'll never know for sure until you try it.

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
I have 2 red flame gourami's with several male guppies in a 26. They're never attempted anything...they seem to get along great

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store