DIY - Egg Tumbler

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plecoman

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
Columbia, TN.
My modified egg tumbler - This is not my design, but I did a slight modification to another design that I saw.

The parts that I had to buy came from Home Depot at the total cost of $5.00.

Here's a look at all the parts needed for this design.
Two 1 1/4" pvc couplings, one 1 1/4" pvc elbow, one fluorescent light plastic cover, window screen, zip ties, suction cups with bracket, and sissors.

Step 1 - Use the sissors to cut the fluorescent light plastic cover. I used a 3 1/2" piece for the egg chamber and a 6" piece for the upper section. I may shorten the 6" section later if it doesn't need to be this tall.

Step 2 - Cut the screen for both ends of the egg chamber. I laid a piece of screen over the coupling and cut around it leaving a 3/16" overhang. This way you don't have to do any trimming after you join the pieces together. I used 1 1/4" pvc couplings because the fluorescent light plastic cover fits nice and snug inside the coupling with the screen. If you use a 1" pvc coupling, the fluorescent light plastic cover fits over the outside of the pvc coupling. I tried to use this design with the screen, but it was just to tight for me. So I modified it and used the 1 1/4" pvc couplings.

Step 3 - Place the screen over the coupling. Take the 3 1/2" tube, place it over the screen and push them into the coupling. The tube only goes inside the coupling about 1/4". You will still be able to see the eggs nicely, once you place them in the tumbler.

Step 4 - Attach the suction cups to the other 1 1/4" coupling. I used a bracket from an old hagen elite heater. All I did was cut the arms off that wrapped around the heater.

Step 5 - Take the other piece of screen and place it over one end of the coupling that you just added the suction cups to. Take the other end of the 3 1/2" tube and place it over the screen and push them into that coupling.

Step 6 - Insert the 6" tube into the other end of the coupling that has the suction cups on it. If you want this tube to fit firmly inside this coupling, use some pipe thread tape around the edge of the tube before inserting it into the coupling. I didn't add any to mine because there is no danger of this piece falling out, unless you turn the tumbler upside down.

Step 7 - Place the 1 1/4" elbow on top of the 6" tube. You may also want to add some pipe thread tape to the top edge of the 6" tube to hold the elbow firmly in place. Again, I didn't use any on mine.

Step 8 - Now all you have to do is run the airstone and airline through the elbow and down to the screen. I'm going to use a gang valve to control the water flow through the egg chamber. I may also drill a hole in the top of the elbow so that the airline can come strait out of the top. Here's what the finished egg tumbler looks like.

THE TUMBLER IN OPERATION BELOW:

Here's some pictures of the egg tumbler in operation. I had to put it in my 75 because of the length that I made it. Of course the length can also be modified. I used a gang valve to control the flow of water through the tumbler. I placed one large group of eggs in today that are still stuck together, with only a few eggs loose from the cluster. I have the flow set to where the cluster is just slightly lifted off of the screen. I have another female trying to lay now. If she lays I'll place her eggs in the tumbler as well. This design really works great and there is room in there for several clusters of eggs.

I'll post more pictures when the eggs hatch.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the well done step by step process as you made it. I will definitely try that when I have some free time. It looks a lot better than what I purchased. Until my calico pleco quits kicking the eggs out of his cave, a great tumbler is a must!

plecoman

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
Columbia, TN.
This is the first time I've used it, but yes, the eggs will stay in for about 9 days. It usually takes my eggs around 4 days to hatch, then another 5 day for the yolk sack to be used up. At that time, I will remove the fry and place them in the 20 long breeding tank for about a month.

Navyscuba

The Fish Envy
Jul 5, 2009
Bartlett,TN
www.thefishenvy.com
Real Name
Angel Rivera
That is funny looks like someone came to my house and stole my tumbler because the ones I did last year looks just like that with an elbow on top and everything. Hehe. I put a coarse sponge at the base to filter any debris.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
You know, people have talked from time to time about trying to save eggs from shrimp that have died while holding eggs close to hatching time. Looks like this would work just as well for eggs of any species that need to be kept in circulating water.

eggggcellent. :)

plecoman

AC Members
Dec 30, 2009
Columbia, TN.
As long as the eggs aren't small enough to go through the screen, they should do fine. For smaller eggs maybe use panty hose or something with a finer screen. Mine should hatch by tomorrow night or Friday morning and I'll post some more pictures of them then. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store