Can't tell if cories have ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
I've had 3 orange laser cories for a few days. They are acting perfectly fine, no problems breathing, swimming, no clamped fins, but I noticed on like the second day I had them that they had tiny whitish spots on them that they hadn't had before. I have a super-fine sand substrate that gets all over everything, and they spend a lot of time digging around in it. So I'm wondering if it's possible they just have some grains of sand in their armor, or if it's probably ich. I don't see white spots on any of the other fish in the tank-- banded pencilfish and celestial pearl danios-- but I have lost two fish in the last two days (one of each) and the pencilfish looked bloated today (eep!). Should I treat the tank? And with what?

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I have PFS in my tanks and never saw a sand grain stuck to a cory. Sure, the OP has fine sand but I don't see how a grain got stuck to a cory's armor in water.

I'd treat the entire tank. Some people like the salt + heat method but I'd use "Rid Ich" or "Ich Attack," both of which are highly effective and 100% safe to cories.

vombatus

AC Members
Ich Attack never helped. An expert friend told me it is a virus of some kind and to stop treating and see what happens. The cories still seem happy and healthy since I stopped treating so he must be right. Luckily, I don't think the Ich Attack harmed any of my other fish or inverts, so no harm done.

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
Can't you treat ich with heat alone? Raising the tank temp to 34 degrees kills the parasite. I know this isn't an option for some fish, goldfish for example. But its an alternative to using medicines that often do more harm than good imo

Just a suggestion :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store