yellowish percula clownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
Hey everyone,

I bought a couple of tankraised true percs from saltwaterfish.com and one is a lot less orange than the other. It's also smaller. Can I expect the orange color to deepen over time? Is there any way to help this along?

The fish is about 1" right now, and the orange-r one is about 1.5" Here are a couple pics:

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Last edited:

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I've heard Rod's food helps coloring them up, though I'd just let nature take its course. Its possible the smaller one is just from a line with less orange coloration, though it probably will color up at least a little as it grows.

deutsche20V

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Frederick, MD
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Stefan
From what I've read its common for tank-bred clowns to be more yellowish as juveniles but it darkens over time into the standard orange. FWIW there is a bit of color difference in my captive bred ocellaris pair as well.

:cheers:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Percs do take a bit more time to darken versus ocellaris. Tough to tell but you may have one of each there. The female is a bit larger though so maybe it is old enough to have colored up. Good looking clowns either way.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
thanks! They're both very small, 1" and 1.25" so I doubt that either is fully colored. I hope not, anyway. The smaller one doesn't even have much black on the fins or margins. They're ORA-bred, so I imagine that they're properly labeled but they won't hold still long enough for a fin-ray count.

They seem to get along very well and have bonded, otherwise I was thinking of selling off the small one and ordering another. The whole reason I paid extra to buy and ship percs was to get better color. I could have gotten tankraised ocelaris at petco for $10 but I went with the $30+shipping percs from saltwaterfish.com. If nothing changes, I'll be very disappointed.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
An update: the fish did color-up and turn a nice orange, but it took TWO YEARS to fully make the transition. Worth it, though. Here's a picture of the same pair today:

The black is very intense and even runs down the males's back.

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
From what I've read its common for tank-bred clowns to be more yellowish as juveniles but it darkens over time into the standard orange.

:cheers:
Thats what my little guy did. He was super yellow like the OP's pic when I got him, but turned more orange and black over the past 9 months.

Hahahaha - I need to Learn to read the whole thread before I respond. He's lookin good, OP!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Wow, not after you see a 2-year bump on a thread :).

They look very healthy, congrats!

I agree that clowns don't truly show their full potential until they are 2 to 3 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store