"aquarium" plants list... for terrestrial growth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
seems, except in certain circles these guys are typically grossly overlooked. many of us know that most aquarium plants are marginals or even terrestrial plants that tolerate being submerged better than most. however, it seems that information isn't enough encouragement for most folks to try them out in their humid environments.

i'm hoping something as simple as a basic list all in one place could be a great resource for reference of species other folks have had good experiences with.

sooo... if you've had success with an otherwise "aquarium" plant in a terrestrial environment, please list it here for other folks.

here's my list so far...
hemianthus micranthemoides... hemianthus calitrichoides... red root floater... rotala rotundifolia... rotala "nanjenshan"... glossotigma elatinoides... riccia fluitans... anubias "nana"... hydrocotyle sibthorpioides... cryptocoryne parva... and bolbitis fern

one thing i will say, is there is no reason to be afraid to try any of these plants terrestrially. typically they grow much better, much easier, with less demands and under less light including (but not limited to) coloring up better, faster growth and better overall health when grown terrestrially. since many of these plants are terrestrial or marginal in the wild, we're bringing them much closer to their natural growth state and not stressing them by drowning them... and algae is a permanent NON-ISSUE. :thumbsup:

tropica (worldwide industry leader in "aquarium" plant production and distribution) even suggests that when adjusting an aquatic plant to a new environment (including in an aquarium) that terrestrial grown specimens will often fare better through the adjustment due to the overall health, vigor and reserves the plants are able to build up during terrestrial growth. they go on to note that a marginal/amphibious plant grown aquatically is grown in an environment that's stressful to the plant, therefore making acclimation to another environment harder on the plant and therefore less successful overall.

http://www.tropica.com/advising/technical-articles/production-articles/emergent-plants.aspx
http://www.tropica.com/advising/technical-articles/production-articles/improved-adaptability.aspx

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Marsilea minuta
Riccardia chamedryfolia
Pellia
All the mosses I've tried
Echinodorous spp.
Eleocharis spp.
Microsorum pteropus

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Anubias barteri
Anubias nana
Cryptocoryne lucens
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Hygrophila difformis
Ludwigia repens
Lysimachia nummularia

I think there are a few more but that's my list ATM.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
dundadundun, what conditions did you grow the rotala rotala rotundifolia in terrestrially?

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I tried growing hygro sunset, didn't work for me, but I know some people on here have done it. I've also attempted to grow water wisteria, worked for a little bit but I had trouble keeping the humidity up and substrate constantly damp. I was lacking a lot of the right supplies, and had many of the wrong ones, like a screen top which is terrible to keep humidity in when you live in Arizona.

jemaasjr

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
Wisteria grows well in all my tanks, but not as an emergent plant.

Bacopa monnieri, moneywort, is easy to grow and durable. I use it on a raft in my aquarium.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
dundadundun, what conditions did you grow the rotala rotala rotundifolia in terrestrially?
in plastic containers that my chinese food comes in, under a daylight cfl.

got some glosso a while back from a member here. it was more than i expected. it was packed in a fish bag with wet paper towels at the bottom. i removed the mat of glosso and the paper towel and put it in the "tupperware" (dish from the chinese takeout joint), covered it and sprinkled it with some w/c water from my 50gal.. about a week later i started seeing a couple red rotala tips emerging from the mass of glosso.

later, i decided my hc was probably going to be overtaken by the other plants in my terra. i took some soil i had already mixed up comprised of coco fiber, coco croutons, bat guano (high in phosphates for blooming), fluval zeo-carb (i have a huge container of this i'll never use), torn up long fir sphag moss and a little leaf litter from the yard... put it in the take-out container, soaked it with w/c water (high in nitrates), topped it with a little more dry soil...placed the hc, some rotala rotundifolia and rotala nanjenshan from my 30 gal and put a cfl over it. everything seems to be growing like weeds.

i keep my room pretty cool, so these containers never reach 80*F, even under the light. i'd guess they get awuful close to 60*F often... as that's the temp i like to sleep in. everything still seems to be growing like weeds.

so... high humidity, 60*F-80*F, bright light, anything moist and rich in nutrients as a substrate/soil layer (paper towels are working great)... and rotala grows like there's no tomorrow...

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
mmm had to look up and old thread to find out what i was growing but i've had luck with

Eriocaulon cinereum
UG (Utricularia Graminifolia)
Cryptocoryne parva
ammania sp. 'bonsai'

i was crowing other Crypt species t the time but didn't know what thay where really. i know thought that alot of the aquatic plant places that sell to pet stores and the like grow emersed mainly because it takes less efort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store