Question regarding SilverSide Feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..ok so i bought some silver side feeders for my sculpin...she loved them! this is my first pack...and iv found things other than silver sides in my little bag...some unknown fish...krill and a hermit crab?....

any one else find strange things in there frozen food?..and this normal?
can any one ID the other fish?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Not unsuual to find such mixtures. First pic seems like what I catch locally to feed my s/w fish, a Spearing or Atlantic Silversides & couple of killies and hermit crab/snail shell as well as possible shrimp/prawn. Cant tell the one with ruptured belly.
I would not worry too much but wondering if you are using silversides as main diet for f/w fish. Something I would not recommend except when used sporadically.
Try ProSalt brand if posible as I found less mixtures in ProSalt than SFBay Brand.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Not unsuual to find such mixtures. First pic seems like what I catch locally to feed my s/w fish, a Spearing or Atlantic Silversides & couple of killies and hermit crab/snail shell as well as possible shrimp/prawn. Cant tell the one with ruptured belly.
I would not worry too much but wondering if you are using silversides as main diet for f/w fish. Something I would not recommend except when used sporadically.
Try ProSalt brand if posible as I found less mixtures in ProSalt than SFBay Brand.

sadly the SFbay is the only brand of silversides i can find, but its not my sculpins main diet...more of a filler thats fed a once or twice a week.. but ill look around for other brands.

And regarding feeding SW food to freshwater fish..i asked this question on the site before..if feeding prawns/shrimp or other salty food would affect my fish.from the feed back i got every one said it was fine.......

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Theorectically and chronically speaking, I prefer f/w fish as main diet for f/w fish and vice versa.
Who knows what kind of complications it might have chronically. Unnatural diet may rendered shortage of much needed right kind of nutrients as studies on continuous use of f/w feeders on s/w eel/fish revealed they lacked much needed appropriate nutrients.
I have used spearings/killies/spearing, etc, etc, very abundant on local shores, on f/w fishes but very sporadically.

Im not worried about the mixtures but concerned with frequency/amt of its uses on f/w.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Theorectically and chronically speaking, I prefer f/w fish as main diet for f/w fish and vice versa.
Who knows what kind of complications it might have chronically. Unnatural diet may rendered shortage of much needed right kind of nutrients as studies on continuous use of f/w feeders on s/w eel/fish revealed they lacked much needed appropriate nutrients.
I have used spearings/killies/spearing, etc, etc, very abundant on local shores, on f/w fishes but very sporadically.

Im not worried about the mixtures but concerned with frequency/amt of its uses on f/w.
hmm that is a good point, but my sculpin gets a huge variety of food, mostly freshwater with, these, krill , and chopped up prawns/shrimp being the only salty things i feed.
thank you for the help so far ^_^

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Maybe I'm too picky, but if I bought a package saying 'silversides' and only listed them as ingredients, that's what I would expect. I didn't see any disclaimer on the package stating that blobs of unidentified fish may be included.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Maybe I'm too picky, but if I bought a package saying 'silversides' and only listed them as ingredients, that's what I would expect. I didn't see any disclaimer on the package stating that blobs of unidentified fish may be included.

yeah..i looked all over the package for something like that..and nope
Im tempted to take them back,but Im not sure if the people at petsmart are smart enough to identify on fish from another...or care really.
I was half way threw the pack before i found any of this.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I didn't see any disclaimer on the package stating that blobs of unidentified fish may be included.
:rofl: The marketing department in that company is really missing out. "Now includes mystery bonus items. Collect them all!"

Seems normal though. I've found what appear to be freeze-dried guppies in the krill containers before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store