would like feedback...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Moreno Valley, California
Real Name
Kristina
from everyone who has or know about the eheim 2234 cannister filter. My local Petco has one discounted from $149.99 to $72.00. As I'm a newbie I would like to know if this filter is quiet and how it performs, and any problems anyone has experienced.

I am looking to get a 55g sometime in the new year, and have decided after reading lots of posts on this site that a biological cannister filter would probably be best. I would like to get one of those sunsun, but if this one is just as good and quiet, I'll buy this instead.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I prefer running 2 filters on my tanks. It's a bit of insurance, and you are just about guaranteed to keep the water sparkling clean. Plus with an extra filter, it's less work for the other filter to do.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Think in the long term... The power usage by the sunsuns is a lot more than the eheims. And even though sunsuns look like decent quality, I can bet you an eheim will out live and be more reliable down the track just due to quality and standards. I would be paying a bit extra for 2 of the smaller eheims.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
dont even get me started on german quality I have owned 2 mercedes made in germany and had nothing but problems so i dont buy if its german its the best quality you can get.

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Moreno Valley, California
Real Name
Kristina
ok...sounds good, but the store only has 1 eheim for sale...so I would have to compensate with another kind. Maybe a marineland biological filter?

RodinCA...love Edna...shes an icon in Australia. :)

Haydn...where in Aus are you? Im originally from sunny Brisbane :)

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
You could also always get one eheim and one sunsun if you really wanted the eheim. You can't deny that eheim filters are fantastic. Really with most people it comes down to price.

A good example I want to bring up is the Eheim 2080 pro 3 and Fluval FX5. The Eheim clearly has better filter potential, but you can get two FX5's for the price of one Eheim 2080 most places you look. You have more filtration and flow in the tank, and if one filter gives out, you have another running to keep things safe.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I can bet you an eheim will out live and be more reliable down the track just due to quality and standards.

This is an opinion and not based on any facts or research. Many Eheim users I know have stopped using them due to reliability and breaking parts.
Many Sunsun users praise the product AND the money they saved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store