3 fish dead...please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Okay...3 goldfish D.O.A. this morning. Little cory still alive, so I put him in a large pitcher with some gravel and food and crossed my fingers. :wall:

Dosed the tank with Ick Clear this a.m. Turned heater on. So, do I add salt now? (I have Sea Salt available.) If so, how much for a 10g tank? When can I put the cory back in? I am a total newbie and this is an office tank and I am so sad about the 3 goldies...I had them for over 8 months and thought I was doing good with them. I don't have a hospital tank or anything like that. Was going to clean the gravel tomorrow. Advice please!!! Thanks!

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
u test the water ammonia, nitrates stuff like that? how often do you do water changes, how big is the tank. we need to know stuff like that to help solve this

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i would stick to one method instead of doing multiple methods to treat ich because then it's less stressful on the fish. I'm not sure what ick clear is. Is that an antibiotic? if it is then i would just stick with doing that.

If you want to do the salt temp treatment instead then i would add 1 tbsp per 5 gallons so in your tank that would be 2 tbsp of just plan table salt. Then in a day or two i would add another 2 tbsps of salt to bring your salt concentration to 2tbs per 5 gallons. (Remember when you are changing your water to replace as much salt as you took out. For example say you do a 50% water change then you must remember to add another 2 tbsp to the new water let it dissolve then add this to the tank). Then slowly increase the temperature around 90 a few degrees every couple of hours. (i'm not 100% sure how well gold fish will deal with higher temperatures because after all they are a cold water fish).

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
10g is a little small for 3 goldfish, maybe they were stressed out? did they have white spots?

EDIT: I agree with the above post^

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks. No worries about goldfish anymore, as they are all dead. Wonder when it is safe to put cory cat back in tank?

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
10g is a little small for 3 goldfish, maybe they were stressed out? did they have white spots?

EDIT: I agree with the above post^
3 goldies were in a 2.5 gal tank until first of November. This is an office tank so I have no say in size, etc., just am in charge of caring for the fish. They did have a lot of white spots on them.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
oh sorry :( wasn't being rude or anything :) and 10 is better than 2.5!
I'd say ich then, remove the cory and leave the tank fishless for 48-72 hours
pretty sure you are doing well :D good luck!

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
Nevermind you beat me to it.
I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of experience with fish; I truly prefer the four-pawed, furry type of pet, but my boss wants FISH. The tank is 10gallons. I do a 25% water change once a week. No changes in food. The 3 goldies were purchased together and lived in a hexagonal tank until 11/1. The cory catfish is less than an inch long, and yes, he's in a plastic pitcher with no heat or air filters. This is an office with a small tank. Coworker was going to toss him even though he wasn't dead! The goldies spent most of yesterday at the bottom of the tank and had white spots on their fins. One had a recurring "cyst" for the past 3 months or so. So the cory will have to hang in there for now, until I can return him to the tank. Any suggestions for what I can do with my limited resources would be most appreciated. I don't like to watch any living thing suffer!

Dobby14

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
oh sorry :( wasn't being rude or anything :) and 10 is better than 2.5!
I'd say ich then, remove the cory and leave the tank fishless for 48-72 hours
pretty sure you are doing well :D good luck!
Thanks Sparkxx!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store