Prickly Sculpins mating?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Hello, My prickly sculpins have become a pair and move everywere together and stay around eachother. They have recently been spending more time behind my drift wood. The female spends the most time there. This morning I awoke to my male digging out gravel behind the wood. They going to mate?? If they do I will be very stoked :headbang2::dance2::eek:mg:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's possible. Kind of the wrong time of the year, but some cool water changes could mimic spring conditions.

What do you have them in?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
They live in my sub-tropical 55gallon aquarium that stays around 72-73. They avoided eachother until now which leads me to believe they are forming a pair.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Interesting. I saw juvies at the estuaries when I lived up the coast from you, never saw live adults.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I have a large sculpin around 4 inches who I belive is a male because of jaw structure. And I have a smaller sculpin around 2 1/4 inches who has a different jaw structure. They both came out of the same creek, and I am almost 100% certain are the same species

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I have a large sculpin around 4 inches who I belive is a male because of jaw structure. And I have a smaller sculpin around 2 1/4 inches who has a different jaw structure. They both came out of the same creek, and I am almost 100% certain are the same species
those seem a bit small to mate, they dont mature till after 4 inches, the male should be closer to 6-8..but its possible.what colors are the male displaying?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
another thing, females and males have mostly the same jaw structure...males will be larger with a longer thinner body, females will be shorter and wider...i believe if you look threw my thread, you can compare your female to mine. who is 4 1/2 inches,

when its time to mate the females will blow up..and look like they swallowed a ping pong ball.

Mine digs pits all the time to lay in as well^_^. good luck and pics pics pics!!!!

how long have you had them? and what sort of water movement do you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store