Dec 2010 Plant of the Month: Eleocharis vivipara

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Eleocharis vivipara:

*In the pictured scape, Eleocharis vivipara is used to fill out the background as well as provide some airier accents in the right foreground.

Eleocharis vivipara:
Light requirements: Medium/High
Substrate: Rich
Ease of growth: Easy/Moderate
Placement in aquarium: Mid/Background

Eleocharis vivipara is a beautiful and relatively easy to grow plant with a variety of different applications in the planted aquascape. In size and appearance, it sits comfortably in the space between giant hairgrass (Eleocharis montevidensis), and dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula). It is similar in appearance to acicularis and minima, but differs from them in its tendency to throw plantlets from the blade tips in addition to propagating by runner. Like its other commonly grown relatives, it appreciates a nutritious substrate and moderate to bright light. In my experience, CO2 injection has not been necessary for healthy growth, and the plant has been so far very unfussy.

This is a plant that is perfectly suited to both mid and background use. With judicious trimming, there is no reason it couldn’t also be used as a foreground, but other species in the genus are far more suited to this use. Because of the thin blades and somewhat wild look provided by the plantlets, it is an excellent choice for the background of even the smallest iwagumi layouts. The light green color and pleasant motion of the blades in a current make this plant a welcome addition to any scape in need of some grassy accents. The only main drawback that one should be aware of, is that its fine and dense growth habit can easily become a detritus/algae trap. Good flow, a regular water change schedule, and a low bio-load will go a long way towards avoiding these problems.

Additional photos can be found here:
http://www.emugii.com/plant1layout/files/attach/images/310055/009/320/17.jpg
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/images/eleocharis vivipara.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
nice write-up, inka. discussion, so far is disappointing though. all i have is a question, personally, unfortunately.

soooo... will this plant do well above water?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Thanks, Brandon, dun.

Well, it'll definitely grow above water. I pulled some moss out of this tank to pot up a crypt for emersed growth, and some of the vivipara went with it. The crypt unfortunately died, but the hairgrass was growing relatively well until the cold hit. It's much wispier and shorter above the waterline from what I saw. Far from a wide sample though.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Nice description Inka, don't know why there hasn't been more discussion but would like to see this feature continue. Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store