Poor bettas at my LFS... and maybe ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Went to my local LOCAL fish store today (just round the corner from me which I only use for essentials/plants and NOT normally fish) which is a little bit shabby which I have no problem with except the shabbiness extends to the upkeep of the tanks. Lots of dead fish.
ALL their betta males were in one of those separated, tiered plant tank things you see in shops (where the water trickles down?) with no LIDS?! I was having a little look and saw some darting about going on and thought I saw two fighting, thought 'no, as if they'd let that happen' and then saw that they were all popping over the partitions and tearing CHUNKS out of each other. Some tails were ripped all the way up to the body, one was hiding, nearly dead in his plants and I think the one I bought (couldn't help myself) has ich.

He's got little white spots on his body- trouble is it looks like grains of sand have fallen on him, and my filter does spray out a little sand.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
from the background you gave regarding the lfs i would lean towards saying it is ich. and poor bettas! have you spoken with the store manager/owner regarding this VERY BAD way to keep the male bettas??

if you could post a photo we can confirm if it is ich. sand does not stick to fish (unless you are Niko and you have superglue...... :rofl: )

and as far as buying plants from this store, are they kept in the same tanks as the fish? if so, i'd be looking for a different source for your plants, since they can bring disease/parasites into your tank at home.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
As already mentioned by BettaFishMommy, picture would help.

Also, why would you buy the fish if you knew the condition of the lfs? Would that not risk your own aquarium, especially if you didn't quarantine the betta?

Poor fishes! Get the Rspca on them on similar institutions...

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
I did say to them that they were in each other's tanks and the boy in the shop wen't 'oooh I wish they'd stop doing that'... I said to the lady who seemed to be in charge 'you know you can just bag or jar them up if they are selling quick' and she replied 'yes, i know some fish shops round here do that but I prefer them to be happy and swimming free'.
Had a little look at a guy on the way out, it's snowing super thick here (yay!) and the bettas were next to the door, in an uncovered tank. He didn't look happy or like he wanted to swim at all, and had one strip of fin on the bottom. Had to stop myself emptying all our coffee/sugar jars and going back at night to fish them all out and give them a bite of pea and an almond leaf to lay on!

Will try to get pics but it might be quite difficult as he's a shy boy- this has flared up overnight, little white dots on his face (one next to his eye) and a few on his fins. What should I use to treat for ich? Is it worth adding a little more aquarium salt? ALSO while he was being caught, instead of folding the bag over so it's open and inside-outing the net into it, he pushed the net through a long fish bag and had to struggle with him to get him to actually come out of it. So a stressful time for him- and I only gave him an hour to acclimatise.

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Also, why would you buy the fish if you knew the condition of the lfs? Would that not risk your own aquarium, especially if you didn't quarantine the betta?
They weren't out of a tank with other fish (well except the ones that popped over for a couple of minutes). I've got a 10gal on the go at the minute with two cory cats in it which is what the bettas gone into- it's not like I'm going to kill off a load of expensive fish and then bust my a*se having to turf out and sterilise a planted 50gal.

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
They weren't out of a tank with other fish (well except the ones that popped over for a couple of minutes). I've got a 10gal on the go at the minute with two cory cats in it which is what the bettas gone into- it's not like I'm going to kill off a load of expensive fish and then bust my a*se having to turf out and sterilise a planted 50gal.
Ah, I c. That's good though. Pheewww!
It just that I've made that mistake of not quarantining several new arrivals 2 months, then having to medicate my entire aquarium. Luckily, its only a 21 UK gallon.

I've definitely learnt my lesson. (i hope) :)

abisheridee

fish noob!
Nov 21, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Here are piccies: he's a blurry difficult fish to photograph!

'Here I am, hiding on the almond leaf' (I had to stretch my arm down the back of the tank to take this so couldn't really see what I was snapping)

'And now I'm not.'

Pic showing little dot on his eye

Side shot

wackorash84

AC Members
Nov 3, 2010
UK
Definitely looks like ich. Your last picture shows it quite well as it seems like granules of salt like white substrate on your betta.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd bump up the heat and add salt, as it is a better method than using meds. i've personally never had to deal with ich since my first female betta over 2 years ago (gee, i'm gonna knock on wood now..... lol), and i used a med back then before i knew any better, so i can't help you with the salt amount, sorry. i do know the heat should be at 86 eventually, and you want to increase your heat and add your salt over a couple of days so that you don't stress your fish by sudden temperature fluctuation or drastically fast different salinity.

hopefully somebody with lots of 'salt/heat for ich' experience will chime in soon on the salt amount!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store